Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burger Help

2»

Comments

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    It worked out pretty good. They seared up nicely. Putting them in the freezer for half hour while the Egg heated up help firm them up, especially the turkey which are inherently less firm than the beef. I hit all my targets but next time would pull the beef before 130F, I like them medium rare and they were medium well but juicy. The Viet Nam fish sauce was more robust than the Thai fish sauce, I tried a few of each. Along with a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale a nice lunch! And the wife really liked the turkey batch!

• SteveWPBFL
    edited December 2012
    So that's my 'help' contribution, note that I'm a true novice at burgers but these came out pretty good.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    eggcellent.  So, will you be using fish sauce next time?
    Yes, I'm going to use it up on some more burgers and what else? Got to give it a fair shake. NPR had a great show on last week with an author of a book on cooking where they were talking fish sauce and other things such as dried mushrooms that when you add them to a dish they give it a savory impact. So we're on to something here......
  • I usually put my cheese IN the burger. I make 2 thinner patties using half of the meat for one burger in each patty. Then I put the cheese on one and top with the other patty. Then press them together. I too add all my seasonings before making patties. I also will mix types of meat using ground round, ground sirloin, and ground chuck. We also do some burgers with ground chicken breast, ground turkey, and ground veal. Sometimes together, sometimes individually.  My family loved the veal the best but it does add to the cost per person a bit. 

I have not tried fish sauce in them though. What brand of fish sauce do you prefer?  I have done steak sauces, tahini, seasonings, soy, teriyaki, Italian salad dressing, onion soup mix, dry ranch dressing in my efforts to be creative on the burger side. I also found a recipe for rub somewhere on the web which my kids love and it goes well with everything. It has some sugars in it so you get some carmelization on the outside of the patty.  I only add a small amount to the beef because I dunk the patties like I am breading them. Let them sit for ten min then throw them on the grill.   Ahhh I'm hungry.

Rub:

1 1/3 C Brown Sugar
    3/4 C Sugar
    3 Tbls Coarse Black Pepper
    2 1/2 Tbls kosher salt
    2 1/4 tsp ground ginger
    1 1/2 Tbls garlic powder
    1 1/2 Tbls onion salt
    1 Tbls dry mustard
    1 3/4 tsp crushed red pepper
    1 3/4 tsp ground red pepper
    1 3/4 tsp ground cumin
    1 3/4 tsp smoked paprika
    3/4 tsp crushed dried thyme

This is great on pork and chicken. I just had to try it on the burgers cause the boys kept asking for it. They loved it. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

Three Crabs has been my choice, recommended by other eggers.

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Crabs-Brand-Fish-Sauce/dp/B0000CNU54

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SteveWPBFL
    The Viet Namese fish sauce was opaque gray and 5 times stronger than the Thai, which was dark and clear. There were several other choices in the asian market. I cooked burgers with both types and the VN was stronger and had more savory. But if you just added more of the Thai you might get the same effect with a different flavor.
  • You can use anchovy paste or diced fillets as well.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SteveWPBFL
    The Viet Names fish sauce uses anchovies.
  • All fish sauces use anchovies. They are fermented though. Worchestershire sauce is anchovy based as well. My point was you can get the flavour a couple of different ways

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Or, you can add MSG.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Yes I will stop arguing with you OR ELSE!!!
    I just made fish-sauce sexy-time go bye-bye by mentioning the dreaded "MSG".  My apologies, sir. 
    :ar!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    He's like, oh no you did nt.
    Jacked is jacked.  Sorry C-T.  I got two tenderloins in the sous vide at 135F.  I'm torn between Mickey's coffee rub and cajun blackened seasoning for the sear (CI on egg with butter).  Any thoughts?  Maybe I could go off the reservation with a curry paste rub rolled in sesame seeds.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    crap, I thought I was complicit in CT's thread.  My apologies SteveWPBFL!!!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    You bastard. It's your fault and I apologized.
    ~X(

Steve 

Caledon, ON