Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

The Stall ?

What is the temp range on a BIBB for a typical stall? I'm coming up on 14 hours on a 8.8 lb butt and I'm at 177 internal.
LBGE, Marietta, GA

• tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,737
    And the dome temp has been steady at 250 - 275
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • you should be past it and starting to climb. They can come anywhere from like 160-170. Sometimes a little higher or lower depending on conditions. I would guess that after 14 hrs, you should start to creep up if you haven't already

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 7,614

The temp range can run from around 155 to 170 or so-every hunk is different.  And I quite frequently see a mini-stall of 4 hours or so in the low 180's.  I believe the more important factor is how long will the stall last...and that is dependent on the cook temp and whether to use foil or not.   You can power through the stall with a high cook temp or use the "Texas  Crutch" aka foil to get through it in quicker fashion.  It can last several hours and the meat temp can actually drop a few degrees during said stall. 

Here's a link for a great technical stall explanation- BTW Amazing Ribs web site is a gold mine of Q info.

Louisville   L & S BGEs 
  • tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,737
    Thanks. I too like the amazing rib site.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA