Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help for a lurker I met

Options
So I was in the BBQ section at my local HEB and ran into a gentlemen picking up things also.  We got to talking and he has been egging for 8 years and has come to the board here and there for some tips.

In regards to the help, he's cooking a boneless pork butt and I need some input from the board as i've never cooked a boneless.  He was going to cook it at 225 for  2 hours, then wrap in foil and cook it for 4 more.  I advised him that his approach might not yield him the pulled pork he was hoping for.  Just a estimation, how long do you think a 10# boneless pork butt would take at 250 grid? 1.5 hours per #?

He doesn't have a thermapen or a maverick so I'm just trying to give him a ballpark time frame.  I know every piece of meat can behave differently but do you have any thoughts? 
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    Bone in or boneless really makes no difference. Not sure why you'd want to put it in foil at all while cooking. Cook at about 275 dome (250 grid) for about an hour a pound.  Tell him he needs to get a thermometer.  You can't consistently make good food unless you pull your meat off at the correct temperature.  Don't necessarily need a fancy thermometer, just something thats accurate.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    1.5 to 1.75 at 250 dome. I'm my experience its closer to 1.5 at 275 dome. But like you said each piece of meat is its own animal.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy- boneless and bone in are the same as the fellas stated above. tell him to go 275 indirect and assume 1.25-1.5 per lb. If he does not have a thermo, tell him to do the fork test. When he can pull a little chunk off with a fork, pull it off.

No need for foil unless he's in a hurry and trying to beat the stall. Not recommended as I don't think it pulls as well when forced through the stall

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Bone in or boneless really makes no difference. Not sure why you'd want to put it in foil at all while cooking. Cook at about 275 dome (250 grid) for about an hour a pound.  Tell him he needs to get a thermometer.  You can't consistently make good food unless you pull your meat off at the correct temperature.  Don't necessarily need a fancy thermometer, just something thats accurate.
    Oh i told him to get one ASAP.  That's good to know...didn't know if the bone made a difference.  All I knew was that 6 hours @ 225 would get him something like a pork roast.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Oh i told him to get one ASAP.  That's good to know...didn't know if the bone made a difference.  All I knew was that 6 hours @ 225 would get him something like a pork roast.  
    yep. If he has had the egg for 8 years, he needs to stop by for a few months and we'll change his world in a few weeks
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX