Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Help for a lurker I met

So I was in the BBQ section at my local HEB and ran into a gentlemen picking up things also.  We got to talking and he has been egging for 8 years and has come to the board here and there for some tips.

In regards to the help, he's cooking a boneless pork butt and I need some input from the board as i've never cooked a boneless.  He was going to cook it at 225 for  2 hours, then wrap in foil and cook it for 4 more.  I advised him that his approach might not yield him the pulled pork he was hoping for.  Just a estimation, how long do you think a 10# boneless pork butt would take at 250 grid? 1.5 hours per #?

He doesn't have a thermapen or a maverick so I'm just trying to give him a ballpark time frame.  I know every piece of meat can behave differently but do you have any thoughts? 
Join the 2015 Rub & Sauce Exchange!  Find out more information here:
http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1182005/2015-egghead-rub-sauce-exchange/p1

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
·

Comments

• Bone in or boneless really makes no difference. Not sure why you'd want to put it in foil at all while cooking. Cook at about 275 dome (250 grid) for about an hour a pound.  Tell him he needs to get a thermometer.  You can't consistently make good food unless you pull your meat off at the correct temperature.  Don't necessarily need a fancy thermometer, just something thats accurate.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,267
    1.5 to 1.75 at 250 dome. I'm my experience its closer to 1.5 at 275 dome. But like you said each piece of meat is its own animal.
    ·
  • cazzy- boneless and bone in are the same as the fellas stated above. tell him to go 275 indirect and assume 1.25-1.5 per lb. If he does not have a thermo, tell him to do the fork test. When he can pull a little chunk off with a fork, pull it off.

No need for foil unless he's in a hurry and trying to beat the stall. Not recommended as I don't think it pulls as well when forced through the stall

·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,782
    edited December 2012
    Bone in or boneless really makes no difference. Not sure why you'd want to put it in foil at all while cooking. Cook at about 275 dome (250 grid) for about an hour a pound.  Tell him he needs to get a thermometer.  You can't consistently make good food unless you pull your meat off at the correct temperature.  Don't necessarily need a fancy thermometer, just something thats accurate.
    Oh i told him to get one ASAP.  That's good to know...didn't know if the bone made a difference.  All I knew was that 6 hours @ 225 would get him something like a pork roast.  
    Join the 2015 Rub & Sauce Exchange!  Find out more information here:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1182005/2015-egghead-rub-sauce-exchange/p1

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
  • cazzy said:
    Bone in or boneless really makes no difference. Not sure why you'd want to put it in foil at all while cooking. Cook at about 275 dome (250 grid) for about an hour a pound.  Tell him he needs to get a thermometer.  You can't consistently make good food unless you pull your meat off at the correct temperature.  Don't necessarily need a fancy thermometer, just something thats accurate.
    Oh i told him to get one ASAP.  That's good to know...didn't know if the bone made a difference.  All I knew was that 6 hours @ 225 would get him something like a pork roast.  
    yep. If he has had the egg for 8 years, he needs to stop by for a few months and we'll change his world in a few weeks

·