Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Bad pizza

Picked up a Papa Murphy on the way home and fired up the LBGE.  Apparently I still had lots of "stuff" on the plate setter from Turkey Day when the pyrex baking dish I had placed the Sittin Turkey in shattered.  The pizza was overcooked and tasted like burned paper.  Well, at lease I was able to use a $2 off coupon and only paid $12.

On the bright side, the red moscotto my lovely wife put in the refrigerator last night was fabulous.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

·

Comments

• What temp did you "burn the paper pizza" at? 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Got to have a sense of humor.  I don't like cooking pizza on a stone that is not clean.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,906
    Get a pizza stone.  The place setter gets too hot to cook pizza on.  Or turn the place setter legs up and cook the pizza on the grate.

·
  • 450 to 500

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

·
  • I cook on the paper for about 8 min then slide off on my pizza stone for another 4.  Usually nice and crispy crust.  The whole garage was FULL of smoke.  I think I should have just let it all burn off before I started.  Oh well.  I know that everyonce in a while it will not be perfection.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

·
  • Legs up on the plate setter then my cast iron grid then the stone.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

·
  • Previous pizza have been wonderful.  I guess I just had crud from thanksgiving that I needed to burn off.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,906
    Your pizza stone is a cooking surface that should never touch fat or oils.  Anything in that ceramic will leach into the crust.  Probably your earlier pizzas didn't have a problem because you didn't have a contaminated place setter.  Anyway, you can use a cookie sheet or something else - the grate.  You don't need a pizza stone unless you're going to do a lot of them.

·
  • There was LOTS of smoke that I should have waited to end.  Thanks Nola for the advise.  I remember reading somewhere that you should wait for the "clean smoke" smell to start cooking.  Well, I was hungry.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

·