Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bad pizza

Picked up a Papa Murphy on the way home and fired up the LBGE.  Apparently I still had lots of "stuff" on the plate setter from Turkey Day when the pyrex baking dish I had placed the Sittin Turkey in shattered.  The pizza was overcooked and tasted like burned paper.  Well, at lease I was able to use a $2 off coupon and only paid $12.

On the bright side, the red moscotto my lovely wife put in the refrigerator last night was fabulous.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

Comments

• What temp did you "burn the paper pizza" at? 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Got to have a sense of humor.  I don't like cooking pizza on a stone that is not clean.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Get a pizza stone.  The place setter gets too hot to cook pizza on.  Or turn the place setter legs up and cook the pizza on the grate.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

• I cook on the paper for about 8 min then slide off on my pizza stone for another 4.  Usually nice and crispy crust.  The whole garage was FULL of smoke.  I think I should have just let it all burn off before I started.  Oh well.  I know that everyonce in a while it will not be perfection.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

• Legs up on the plate setter then my cast iron grid then the stone.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

• Previous pizza have been wonderful.  I guess I just had crud from thanksgiving that I needed to burn off.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Your pizza stone is a cooking surface that should never touch fat or oils.  Anything in that ceramic will leach into the crust.  Probably your earlier pizzas didn't have a problem because you didn't have a contaminated place setter.  Anyway, you can use a cookie sheet or something else - the grate.  You don't need a pizza stone unless you're going to do a lot of them.
  • There was LOTS of smoke that I should have waited to end.  Thanks Nola for the advise.  I remember reading somewhere that you should wait for the "clean smoke" smell to start cooking.  Well, I was hungry.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska