Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Raw Ham

I just started a 16 pound ham as a present for my MIL bday ( never ask how many...)

I am expecting it done done in20 hours at 250 dome. Depending on how it goes I might bring the heat up early tomorrow morning...
 It has the rind on and it is seasoned only with sea salt and lemon pepper...
photo.JPG 595.3K
·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,269
    Looks good - is it uncooked but cured?

·
  • makismakis Posts: 81
    No. It is the way it comes off of the animal. 
    I just described the part of the pork!
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    I'm no ham expert, but it is on my to do list, so I've looked into it quite a bit.  If you want ham, the pink, salty stuff that is commonly called ham, you need to cure it before smoking.  Smoking a piece of pork, "the way it comes off the animal" will result in a pork roast, or pulled pork, depending on what temp you take it to.  It will not taste like ham.  You will still have a very nice fresh pork roast. 
    It will be pulled but how would you call this particular part of pork? If leg then so be it...Names is not the issue here.

This photo is after 16 hours in with IT of 175
    photo.JPG 708.1K
    ·
    The pork came out at 19 hours having 200 IT.

No photos because it was consumed in 20'.
    ·
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    It certainly looks good, I bought a half-pig recently and it came with a nice fresh ham.  I am thinking of curing, i would like to see how that would come out.  I will dig up my Charcuterie book and get cracking.
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,926
    Hind quarter? Rear quarter? Rear leg quarter?

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
    Oh...and it looks like it came out real nice. Good job.

Richardson, Texas

·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,131

makis said:
    It will be pulled but how would you call this particular part of pork? If leg then so be it...Names is not the issue here.

This photo is after 16 hours in with IT of 175
    thats what i would call it, fresh ham, as opposed to a cured only country ham or a cooked smoked ham. looks good, did it pull well at 200
    ·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,122
    Fresh leg of pork.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Whatever you call it it looks good.  Nice cook.
    Isn't fresh ham (ham that hasn't been cured) also called green ham? Or is that something else?

Richardson, Texas

·
    It pulled perfect, Made a great impassion to all and as a side dish I had sweet bell peppers stuffed with a variety of cheese, cherry tomatoes and pieces of grilled turkey. Fantastic meal....

·
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Griffin said:
    Isn't fresh ham (ham that hasn't been cured) also called green ham? Or is that something else?

Thought it was green eggs and...
    ·