Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Too Cover or Not to Cover

That is the question.

So Do I cover my eggs and my table this winter??

It is made of Redwood and has a soapstone top, so not sure it is needed
·

Comments

• RocEGGRocEGG Posts: 85
    I say might as well cover it. It is true that the egg is made to be outside and the table is made of durable materials, but there are some issues I see. Covering it not only stops rain and snow from accumulating, but also stops UV/sun degradation, rust, and keeps general dirt and environmental contaminants off your equipment. I figure that for the fractional additional cost of a cover, if it prevents or delays failure of metal components (hinge, bands, springs) and wear/fading/damage to table and accessories, it is worth it. I am sure there are other viewpoints, but I always protect anything I invest money in to make sure that it lasts as long as possible. Even if something can be left outside, if I can avoid leaving it outside I do (yard power equipment, furniture, etc).

Mine has been covered and I still notice that some of the color has faded from my table top (heartwood spanish cedar).
    Rochester, NY  - XL BGE
    ·
  • Great looking set up! I'd cover it. But I, kinda anal like that. :)
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
    ·
  • It's easy, some people take care of their stuff, some don't.

Who are you?

Have no regrets.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,197
    especially in December, cover your member...I mean egg table.

·
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,651
    edited November 2012
    remove the ceramic top before you cover, else you risk dislodging and dropping it when removing the cover ... don't ask how I know :(
    canuckland
    ·
  • Won't hurt by covering!
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

·
  • jfm0830jfm0830 Posts: 962
    Cover it! The less moisture that gets near the Egg when the temperatures get down around freezing the better. Also not all the exterior parts of the Egg are as durable as the glazed ceramic. It certainly can't hurt.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
    ·
  • Great Feedback Everyone
    ·
  • Gee, at first you made it sound like you were going to cover it and not use it until spring. So I would add cover it, but make sure to uncover it regularly, at least once a week.
    LBGE
    ·
  • Hummmm, I'm not where is snows.  For me the $80 a shot covers were a huge waste of money.  Actually I would be willing to make a deal for covers for an XL, LBGE, and MBGE, used but only lightly if anyone is interested.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • Cover the egg and table.  I regret not covering mine, the last two years have taken a toll on both the finish of the egg and table.
    ·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,447
    I cover my table even though it is stainless.  Keeps the snow and ice off and keeps the lid from freezing shut.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    I cover my egg and table after every use. That's just me I like to take care of my stuff.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,434

BOWHUNR - I like your table. Can you tell me where you got it ?

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • RAC said:

BOWHUNR - I like your table. Can you tell me where you got it ?

Yeah that looks like what I need, would appreciate info!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
    edited November 2012
    I got my table from Mid-America Equipment in Hannibal, MO.  They don't have a website, but if you can give me till Monday I have their phone number at my office.  Tim, their "table guy" was great to work with.  Here is a better photo.  The rack on the left holds the platesetter and grids and there are utensil hooks on the right side that you can't see.  There is also a sliding divider in the left drawer and a small spice rack on the back of the cabinet door, all stainless.

Mike

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • ME LIKEEEEEE!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
    that's probably my fav stainless table.  It screams functionality.

·
    ME LIKEEEEEE!
    Thanks.  Hope the Dawg's get it done tomorrow!  I think LSU and A&M exposed a chink in Bama's defensive armor.  Let's hope they attack that with all they have!

Mike

Omaha, NE
    ·
    I hope you beat bama.  I'm getting tired of seeing them win championships.

·
  • I hope we do to, I'm tired of ESPN and the networks going gaga over Bama and leaving us out. I have a good feeling about the game...
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
    We probably would have beat them if it wasn't for the end-of-game coaching screw-ups by LSU.

·
  • Mad Hatter got you again!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
    He's totally crazy.  Does something right, apparently, because LSU is always in the mix.  Watch his post game interview from Ol Miss. 

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8661250/les-miles-talks-listening

·
  • I knew a thread callef To Cover or Not to Cover would be about football...eventually.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
    For those that asked, here is the contact information for the tables.

Mid-America Restaurant Equipment
    Tim Spake
    800-637-9188
    217-653-0654 Cell

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • paqmanpaqman Posts: 1,652
    BOWHUNR said:

For those that asked, here is the contact information for the tables.

Mid-America Restaurant Equipment
    Tim Spake
    800-637-9188
    217-653-0654 Cell

Do you know who manufactures it and the model number?

edited December 2012
    They manufacture them in house.  There are several different models they offer.  I'm sure Tim would be glad to send you photos.  If one exactly like mine is what you are after tell him you want BOWHUNR Mikes.  He will know what you are talking about.

Mike

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • I  got my table from Tim, as well.  Attached, are some examples of other designs, that he sent me. He will do custom as well.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
    ·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,434

Thanks..

Ricky

Spring, TX

·