Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butcher Questions

Options
MJQ8
MJQ8 Posts: 43

Hey everyone!,

For those that use a local butcher VS a grocery store or warehouse, what are you paying typically per pound? My local guy here has bb-ribs on sale for $4.99 a LB (normally $5.99) and his brisket at $3.99 (nose off-$4.99...I'm not sure what his normal price for these are.) Just trying to see if he is within range of normalcy. Speaking of brisket and having never made one before, what is the advantage (if any) of having the nose off? When you go to your butcher, is best to buy just what you need as it will be the freshest or do prefer to load and freeze the rest of it for a later day?

Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

Mike- Here is to looking forward to JAN 7, 2013 - When he loyal sons will "go marching onward to victory"

Any cook you can walk away from is a good one.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    sometimes you get what you pay for, sometimes not. for instance, the supermarket ribs here are cheaper than the butcher, the fresh ribs in the supermarket here are cut out of a hormel cryovac and put into the local supermarkets packaging with a sticker that says fresh but in actuallity they are solution added. no reason to see the butcher for things like chicken wings. butcher is better if i want a 14 pound chuck roast verse the chuck at the supermarket thats maybe 3 pounds. i buy as i need, too many places within a mile or two of the house or work
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited November 2012
    Options
    IMHO cuts like butt, wings, blade or chuck roast, chicken breasts are look for the cheapest, usually the big box or supermarket. I rely on my butcher for ribs, 80/20 ground beef, rib roasts and most of the time steaks. 

Whole chicken and pork loins are mixed, sometimes Costco, sometimes butcher. 

Butcher is about 25% more per pound, the quality has always been very good, that's why we go back.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    My butcher is cheaper on steaks if the buy the loaf. I do notice his quality is better on most things. I do buy my chicken from Publix or Kroger.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN