Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Curing and smoking ham

For those who have cured and smoked their own hams, have you soaked it in water for 24 hours after the cure? I know Ruhlman doesn't recommend it with ham, but I've seen others who do. If you followed Ruhlman, was it salty? I have a half in cure right now, though it won't be ready for smoke until Monday or Tuesday. 

Also, has anyone smoked without the glaze that Ruhlman recommends? I know some folks do it with precooked. Just wondering if anyone has fixed a home-cured ham both ways and which was better. 
Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
·

Comments

• I did not and it was not too salty. His bacon is for me though (and I love salt) so I'm soaking my next round of bacon. 

·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,120

@The Cen-Tex Smoker I've got 2 bellies hat I will pull in a couple days. How saltly was yours? I need to decide to soak in water or not.

Thanks, Bill

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • billyray said:

@The Cen-Tex Smoker I've got 2 bellies hat I will pull in a couple days. How saltly was yours? I need to decide to soak in water or not.

Thanks, Bill

They were fresking salty. I did the salt box method though and I bet that had something to do with it. I'll measure next time and see how that does.

·
  • jlsmjlsm Posts: 843
    I used the measured cure on the bellies. Mine weren't too salty, but I rinsed for a good 10 minutes or so and really rubbed the surface. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
    ·
  • billybonbillybon Posts: 185
    billyray said:

Thanks, Bill

I usually soak my cured pork belly before smoking. However, the last time I failed to do the soak and was not happy with the saltiness of the finished product. To compensate for the excessive salt, I had to soak the smoked sliced product just prior to the final cooking. This has reduced the saltiness to a tolerable level without hurting the overall flavor of the bacon.
    ·
  • jlsm said:
    I used the measured cure on the bellies. Mine weren't too salty, but I rinsed for a good 10 minutes or so and really rubbed the surface. 

that sort of what I do to and never a complaint of too salty...i don't even rinse for nearly 10 minutes...just a thorough rinse, I'll rub any excess cure off, if any...usually all liquid when done.
    ·
  • jlsm said:

that sort of what I do to and never a complaint of too salty...i don't even rinse for nearly 10 minutes...just a thorough rinse, I'll rub any excess cure off, if any...usually all liquid when done.
    I'll be doing it this way from now on. If I say it's too salty, it would injure the mouths of most others who tried it.

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,270
    edited November 2012

CT, Too funny. I was in my local Indian place with one of my guys a few weeks ago. My little buddy Sassik (the owner) brings out a plate of these salted chilis. My guy starts crying and I made a face that made him thinks he burned me. He always puts extra chili on my stuff. I said no it's just too damn salty! It was. I hate salt

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • CT, Too funny. I was in my local Indian place with one of my guys a few weeks ago. My little buddy Sassik (the owner) brings out a plate of these salted chilis. My guy starts crying and I made a face that made him thinks he burned me. He always puts extra chili on my stuff. I said no it's just too @#!*% salty! It was. I hate salt

I'm a junkie for it.

·
  • Did I swear just there?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·