Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deli Meat Question

Options
Got a question for the BGE crew. Anyone done, or consistently do, their own deli meats? Got the question of the wife "Would it be cheaper to buy deli meats or smoke them on the egg?" I know I can get better quality/flavor, but price? Thoughts?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    if your feeding a big family, or a crowd its cheaper than buying it from the deli, if your slicing up leftovers its cheaper as well. if your making 5 pounds of deli roast beef, it may be cheaper to buy it done if its just for one or two people because i probably wouldnt freeze the beef, ham would be different, freeze away. pretty much any dinner roast can be sliced up, just buy a piece bigger than your needs so theres some to slice
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fletcherfam
    Options
    How much is a decent meat slicer?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    mine was a cheapo at around a hundred dollars 10 years back, been used a few times a month since but its wearing out. the biggest problem at that priceline is cleanup, mine takes 10 to 15 minutes to clean so i want to cut a couple pounds at a time atleast. been 10 years and they dont make mine anymore so not sure what one is best, i know you want one that cleans easily or it just wont get used
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The roast meat shelf life is limited after it's sliced.  You can extend it significantly by curing the meat before cooking it.
    +1 on that. Someone gave me a good quality Italian one but it is a bear to clean and I hardly ever use it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• khristyjeff
    Options
    We bought an entry level meat cutter from Shopko.  It's their own brand, I believe.  Not super powerful but gets the job done so far for us.  Also easy to clean.  Normally $100 and got it for 50% off.  Keep us posted on your efforts to make deli meats, as we've been wondering the same thing.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Smitty the Smoker bought a pretty nice Chinese slicer - much better than the consumer stuff, but wayyy cheaper than a commercial.   Wish I had kept that Hobart slicer....(sigh)