Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Barbacoa Recipe

Looking for a good barbacoa recipe.  I tried the search function and only got one result that was actually about barbacoa.  Does anyone have a good recipe?  Is it something worth doing on the egg or should i just braise the meat on my stove in a dutch oven?  Does the egg really add anything?  Any input from a more experienced egger would be greatly appreciated.
·

Comments

• SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,030
    edited November 2012
    The only time I've seen anything on "barbacoa" was when SWMBO looked for a pulled beef recipe. It was a crock pot version using brisket, worked just fine. The meat pulled and had a "Mexican" flare (as a Canadian - what the hell do I know about Mexican?)
    Other than burning lump because of a love to burn lump, I've never understood the logic of covered braising on the egg. (uncovered might be different - never done that)
    Pulled pork we do in the crock pot (no bark) if we plan to serve with a BBQ sauce, we do on the egg (great bark) if we plan to serve with a vinegar Carolina slaw. 
    I guess the same might go for Barbacoa beef.... if you want bark, do it on the egg, sauce it after the cook.
    This is the crock pot recipe SWMBO found: It is good

Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,342
    edited November 2012
    this looks interesting
    Do use Mexican oregano.  McCormick, spice isle
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • When I've had barbacoa in Mexico it has always been goat or sheeps head.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,197
    edited November 2012
    barbacoa is kind of a vague name for fire roasted meat.  The definition changes regionally.  It kind of translates to BBQ.

·
  • MikeP624MikeP624 Posts: 292
    I will probably use beef, maybe goat if i can find it.  I am more interested in the spices and technique used to produce barbacoa similar to what you get a Chipolte.  Something to put on tacos or burritos.
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,030
    edited November 2012
    When I've had barbacoa in Mexico it has always been goat or sheeps head.
    That's because you've had the real thing by the sound of it and further to me becoming an expert based on the last 10 minutes using Google. 

I think the term has been used to sell Mexican/Latino BBQ restaurants - noticed there are lots of hits on eateries with the term barbacoa in the name. 

@MikeP624 - the recipe above from @Austin_Egghead uses cumin, it is one of the ingredients listed on the Chipotle web site. Good luck.
    ·
  • Traditional here is smoked then braised brisket. Love it

·
  • I've had it in places you wouldn't normally consider eating in. Heavy on the flies, light on cleaning. All the old skulls stacked around the hole where a window would normally go. Damn fine food though

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    2 barbacoa, please.  And easy on the fly larvae.

·
  • Dude, I'm not the most sensitive person with regards to sterile surroundings but man it was bad in these places. I'm talking small town non-touristy places. Guess it's what you're used to.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • I've had it in places you wouldn't normally consider eating in. Heavy on the flies, light on cleaning. All the old skulls stacked around the hole where a window would normally go. @#!*% fine food though

Been there. Only got sick once. Who knew that eating off mystery meat off rusty corrugated tin grills on dirt roads in Mexico with nary a refrigerator in sight was a bad idea? I'd do it again today though...but I don't go down those dirt roads anymore. Too sketchy. Sad.

·
  • Only place I got sick from was a Holiday Inn. Nix the sunny side up eggs in Mexico. I knew that beforehand too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    The food probably won't kill you.  But the cartels will.

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,920

If you are looking for true barbacoa, get your shovel handy, cuz your gonna be digging a pit and then burying your meat in it. But where can you find cow skulls now-a-days since the mad cow scare awhile back?

From what I understand, there is only one place left in Texas that is allowed to use a hole in the ground to make their barbacoa, Vera's in Brownsville. It, along with others, were grandfathered in when gov'ment got involved and said it wasn't sanitary. Vera's is the only one still around that does it that traditional way.

I hear the cow's eye is a real treat.

http://fcg-bbq.blogspot.com/2012/03/veras-backyard-bar-b-que.html

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
    Centex - I like the idea of smoking first for flavor, do you have any idea when the brisket comes off the smoker, before hitting the braise? 
    I was thinking of moving the meat to the braise about the same time as I normally crutch, sound right?
    ·
    My understanding is most of the smoke flavor is absorbed pretty early in the cooking process.  I was thinking i might smoke the meat for like 2 hrs, and then move it to the dutch oven at that point.  Any thoughts on if that is a good approach?
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,320
    edited November 2012
    The smoke ring stops developing at 140* but the smoke will continue to flavor the meat throughout the cook. That is a direct quote and I even left out the superfluous "u" in flavour

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    I'd smoke it until you're into the stall, then braise it.  Get as much flavor and texture as possible in the bark.  If that takes two hours, then yep.  Depends on meat/size/dome temp.

·
    Okay.  Thanks for the help.  Will post the results after the cook. (Probably on Sunday)
    ·
    Centex - I like the idea of smoking first for flavor, do you have any idea when the brisket comes off the smoker, before hitting the braise? 
    I was thinking of moving the meat to the braise about the same time as I normally crutch, sound right?
    I think you could do it after 5-5 hours of good smoke. I don't crutch but I think your idea sounds right. Maybe like 160 internal then braise the hell out of it in those good seasonings. Damn...I'm doing it this weekend for sure. I love brisket barbacoa

·

This is the recipe i will be following for the spice mixture.

http://www.hispanickitchen.com/profiles/blogs/barbacoa-slowcooked

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,920
    Sounds like a good one @MikeP624. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • You're probably already good to go, but thought I'd throw this out here .

First link is the article explaining the recipe (second link)

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/04/better-than-chipotles-beef-barbacoa-tacos.html

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/04/tender-beef-barbacoa-chipotle-tacos-recipe.html

·