Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizzas on the MINI ?s

Options

I think I need some help cooking pizzas on the MINI. Not on the large, I got that down, just the MINI, so lets try and keep comments to that.

Before I got my MINI, I asked the best way to do them. I was told around 425F, use the WOO ring and just use one pizza stone sitting directly on top of the grate. My problem is that is seems to get the bottom done way before the top. We did 8 over Thanksgiving in one night and I was a bit disappointed that we had to pull them off and then stick them under a broiler for a bit to finish them off. Talk about feeling like a failure. Do I need to up the temp? Use both stones? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    Use both stones on the mini Woo, and you'll find the bottoms take longer to cook, giving the tops time to catch up.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I either use both stones on the Woo or use a drip pan under a single stone.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Wrap some HD aluminum foil under the bottom of the stone (not the top, just over the top edges enough to hang on).  You want to create a radiant barrier - keep the stone from getting too hot so the top has a chance to cook.  Control the relative heat between the stone and the indirect heat that cooks the top. You can double or treble the layers of foil and control the amount of insulation.

Reflective surfaces are the best radiant barriers, and you're trying to protect the stone from direct (radiant) heat. 

Anyway, that's my MacGruber $0.02.
    Options
    I do double pizza stone  with woo anywhere from 500 to 600, comes out fine. Stones are from amazon.
    Seattle, WA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I have the stones (2), was told on other forum to just use one, though. I'll use two next time. Anybody got a way to do deep dish on the mini? or should I just do on large?

Rowlett, Texas

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Use woo, both stones and an air gap between the stones. Bottom will be crispy and top will be cooked. Adjust you cooking time to compensate for the set up
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I have a small & did my first pizzas on it last week. I used the woo & two stones. They were nice!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited November 2012
    Options
    9:04AM I have the stones (2), was told on other forum to just use one, though. I'll use two next time. Anybody got a way to do deep dish on the mini? or should I just do on large?
    Griffin... Regardless of the pie you need the air gap on the mini. If you are going to do a deep dish pie I would get as high in the dome as possible.
    You will have to remove you thermometer, put the spring on the outside and leave it that way always.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Griffin
    Options
    Thanks for all the help, guys. That's what makes this forum such a wonderful place. Next time, two stones it is.

Rowlett, Texas

• SamFerrise
    Options
    Hey Griff the mini may not have enough volume in the dome to cook the pies like you prefer.  Lots of moisture is coming off the pie while it is cooking and that much smaller chamber cannot handle it.  Try scaling down the size of your pies and see if that helps.  Stick with the large for Pizza if it works better.  I can kick out 6-8 pies at 12-14" diameter per hour on my large.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Griffin
    Options
    @SamFerrise - I'll keep that in mind and if we can't get it to work, we'll just go back to the large. We were doing them on the MINI cause its what we took down to the ranch. Didn't have enough room to take a large with us. The pies we've been doing on the mini are less than 8" across as that is how big the stones are. I'd like to try it a few more times, though, just to see if I can get them the way I like them. Thanks for the advice.

Rowlett, Texas