Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Omaha Steaks - Groupon deal

StargazeStargaze Posts: 68
Just an FYI, received this in my email recently.  Looks like a pretty good deal if you're a carnivore

·

Comments

• cazzycazzy Posts: 8,244
    Already dead. Are their steaks any good? Never had them.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
    ·
  • It seems like the Groupon deal is dead but if you click the links it sounds like they're actually still good?
    ·
  • We were given some a few years ago as a present.  My impression was that I can get much better quality at Costco at a lesser price.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • ShedFarmShedFarm Posts: 499
    In my opinion (which doesn't count for much), Kansas City Steak Co is better than Omaha Steaks, and Costco/Sam's Club is better than both of them.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
    ·
  • We were given some a few years ago as a present.  My impression was that I can get much better quality at Costco at a lesser price.

Agreed!

Edina, MN

·
  • MJQ8MJQ8 Posts: 43

Loved OS years ago and recently tried them again...I don't know, seems the quality has drifted a little now. They may be alright if the in-laws are coming over but for good friends I will go to a butcher shop, (Glad my wife doesn't read this blog)

Any cook you can walk away from is a good one.
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,303
    problem with omaha is the tiny steaks dont cook right. if i want a good steak i drive to this place but they mail order as well, a 45 day dry aged steak at 2 pounds is about42 bucks plus delivery and there premier cowboy steak is half as much
    http://www.themeathouse.com/ourgoods/Product.aspx?ProductID=57
    ·
  • I got some as a gift and after cooking a couple I threw the rest out. I'll gladly pay the butcher a little more.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,470
    problem with omaha is the tiny steaks dont cook right. if i want a good steak i drive to this place but they mail order as well, a 45 day dry aged steak at 2 pounds is about42 bucks plus delivery and there premier cowboy steak is half as much
    It looks like they have good prices on their meat, but the shipping for two cowboy ribeyes was 2 1/2 times the meat cost.  Omaha steaks are way over priced for what you get and most people in Omaha, including myself, don't but them.  You're way better off finding a good butcher in your area.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
    BOWHUNR said:
    It looks like they have good prices on their meat, but the shipping for two cowboy ribeyes was 2 1/2 times the meat cost.  Omaha steaks are way over priced for what you get and most people in Omaha, including myself, don't but them.  You're way better off finding a good butcher in your area.

Mike
    its probably more worth it for someone that wants to try a 45 day dry aged steak and cant get one where they are at. and way better than buying a 5 ounce steak and a hamburger patty at omaha steaks
    :))
    they are growing fast, a few years ago the were just a few in newengland, now they are down the eastern seaboard, texas and out to california

·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,244
    edited November 2012
    BOWHUNR said:

Mike
    its probably more worth it for someone that wants to try a 45 day dry aged steak and cant get one where they are at. and way better than buying a 5 ounce steak and a hamburger patty at omaha steaks
    they are growing fast, a few years ago the were just a few in newengland, now they are down the eastern seaboard, texas and out to california

$123 shipping for a $41 dry-aged piece of beef. Um, no thanks, I'm too frugal to justify purchasing that, even it is just to "try" it.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,938
    Alternatively, buy a good marbled piece of meat (choice or prime) and age yourself - they sell drybags for aging in your fridge.  http://www.drybagsteak.com/

·
  • Nola, have you used the drybags?  If so, how long did you dry age and how was it?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
    well i only checked my address for shipping at 19.79,  123 is a little pricey
    cazzy said:
    BOWHUNR said:

Mike

$123 shipping for a $41 dry-aged piece of beef. Um, no thanks, I'm too frugal to justify purchasing that, even it is just to "try" it.

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,938
    Nola, have you used the drybags?  If so, how long did you dry age and how was it?
    Not yet.  I'm about to order some.  Mostly I want to make the capicola, but I'll definitely try some dry aging of beef.

·