The grilling community is known for coming together to provide help and support in times of need, and many families and communities have been devastated by the recent severe weather events across the country. Please visit these sites to learn more about how you can support relief efforts - operationbbqrelief.org and redcross.org.
Ok. It's done over a week earlier than expected. My humidity levels are half what's recommended and I had some surface mold. Based on weight loss - it's down to about 65% of what I started with, I needed to refrigerate.
I cut up some of it to eat and see what I'm dealing with. Tastes great. I mean, really great. Kind of musty, earthy, beefy. Can't wait to use it in some appetizers.
I brushed off the surface mold and god knows what else, then gave it a vinegar bath with some scrubbing, then rinsed it off, dried it and it looked pretty good. No funky odors, ('scept mold and the treatment seems to take care of that - we eat moldy cheese all the time). No signs of spoilage. I suppose If I'm not sick in the next day or two I'll be in the clear (seriously, nothing is going to survive the curing this thing got - 2 weeks of dry cure with sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite).
I'll try posting more pics when it's all purdy and stuff like VI does.