Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Preparing brisket in advance

Options

Hello All,

I am going to smoke packer trimmed brisket for 27 people this Christmas.  I have an XL egg.  I haven't done a brisket yet, but am assuming these should take around 15-18 hours to cook.  My first question is, how many briskets do you recommend for this number of people?  I'm just not sure how much waste there is.  Also, if I smoke it ahead of time, what is the best way to freeze and reheat the brisket so it is still great tasting and moist?  Thanks in advance for your time!

Aaron

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You are going to need at least 2 and probably 3 to feed 27 hungry people. I would very much avoid reheating a brisket for a holiday meal. They are so finicky you could be setting yourself up for a disappointing result. Briskets are by far best served after a rest but still hot. If you feel you need to cook in advance and reheat, Highly recommend a butt over a brisket. Butts can handle being held at temp for long periods or being reheated much better than a brisket

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Butts can handle being held...hehe.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    henapple said:
    Ha!

In fact, they love it
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Hi Aaron.
    A good sized packer brisket is 12-15 pounds, and you'll end up with about 7-9 pounds of finished meat. Even if you figure a generous 1/3 pound per person, you won't need more than 2 briskets.

At competitions, we've been regularly hitting 11-12 hours cooking time with 15 pounders, so you surely don't need 18.  If you will be reheating, I would recommend pulling it off just before it is fully tender....say, 180 internal. Cool a bit on the counter, then freeze the whole thing. Or even better, cook within a few days of Christmas, and just refrigerate it. When you are ready, reheat whole in foil until good and hot, then unwrap to set up the bark a little. Thinking 160 would be a good temp to shoot for on the reheat.

Hope it helps. It's just one opinion!
    Cheers and happy cookin.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Little Steven
    Options
    henapple said:
    Get yer mind out of the gutter there man! :D

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• aarongpeck
    Options
    Good stuff guys.  Thanks so much for the great advice.