Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s time to kick back, relax and enjoy the aromas of fresh smoked meat as we sail towards summer. Not sure what to smoke? Try Down & Dizzy Pork Shoulder or Smoked Spanish Chicken. Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Bresaola - Not for the squeamish. Picture heavy.

Ok.  It's done over a week earlier than expected.  My humidity levels are half what's recommended and I had some surface mold.  Based on weight loss - it's down to about 65% of what I started with, I needed to refrigerate. 

I cut up some of it to eat and see what I'm dealing with.  Tastes great. I mean, really great.  Kind of musty, earthy, beefy.  Can't wait to use it in some appetizers.

I brushed off the surface mold and god knows what else, then gave it a vinegar bath with some scrubbing, then rinsed it off, dried it and it looked pretty good.  No funky odors, ('scept mold and the treatment seems to take care of that - we eat moldy cheese all the time).  No signs of spoilage.  I suppose If I'm not sick in the next day or two I'll be in the clear (seriously, nothing is going to survive the curing this thing got - 2 weeks of dry cure with sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite).

I'll try posting more pics when it's all purdy and stuff like VI does.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Comments