Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Bresaola - Not for the squeamish. Picture heavy.

Ok.  It's done over a week earlier than expected.  My humidity levels are half what's recommended and I had some surface mold.  Based on weight loss - it's down to about 65% of what I started with, I needed to refrigerate. 

I cut up some of it to eat and see what I'm dealing with.  Tastes great. I mean, really great.  Kind of musty, earthy, beefy.  Can't wait to use it in some appetizers.

I brushed off the surface mold and god knows what else, then gave it a vinegar bath with some scrubbing, then rinsed it off, dried it and it looked pretty good.  No funky odors, ('scept mold and the treatment seems to take care of that - we eat moldy cheese all the time).  No signs of spoilage.  I suppose If I'm not sick in the next day or two I'll be in the clear (seriously, nothing is going to survive the curing this thing got - 2 weeks of dry cure with sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite).

I'll try posting more pics when it's all purdy and stuff like VI does.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

·

Comments

• looks good?  :-&

Actually, I'd hit it right now

·
  • Damn! That looks as good as stike's

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • PSHomePSHome Posts: 35
    You rock.

·
  • Beautiful man. =D>
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,259
    I even got SWMBO to eat some.  She wasn't there when I used a potato brush to clean the surface funk.  I'm the guy that eats the rind on the brie.

That was fun, I think I'll do it again.  (that may change in the next 24-48 hours)

·
  • Very nice. I can't wait to try some of the charcuterie from my new book.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,446
    I have to admit I had to Google this one. ^:)^

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    Looks great!
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
    With cracked pepper, olive oil, lemon juice, balsamic and some Himalayan salt.  Bounced the flash off the wall a bit to try getting some back lighting....

·
  • Carpaccio that is safe to eat...awesome!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    edited November 2012

Carpaccio that is safe to eat...awesome!
    We had a carpaccio in a Vietnamese restaurant in San Fran, for the first time, that I've since made a few times.  Sans peanuts.  Basically it's thinly sliced raw eye of round or any other lean roast, cut across the grain when slightly frozen, then laid out in a petal pattern on a platter with an oil, like sesame, and an acid - lemon, lime or rice wine vinegar.  Salt and pepper, then cover it all with finely diced onions, basil, cilantro and maybe some jalapanos.  Make a dipping sauce (rice wine vinegar, soy, ginger, sesame oil, whatever). 

We have some friends that own/run a great Vietnamese restaurant near us - we brought it up and they told us that's a variation of a traditional party dish that men eat - sort of like the equivalent of beer nuts.  I love carpaccio.

·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,940
    That looks awesome!!
    Join the 2015 Rub & Sauce Exchange!  Find out more information here:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1182005/2015-egghead-rub-sauce-exchange/p1

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
  • jfm0830jfm0830 Posts: 962
    Totally awesome ^:)^
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
    ·
  • ZickZick Posts: 171
    So impressive. You really went for this and it paid off. Absolutely awesom!
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,407
    Looks great! Nice picture taking skills too!
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,926

You rule!! ^:)^

I gotta get off my but and start doing some chacuterie.

Where's stike to comment on this one?

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,320
    edited November 2012

Carpaccio that is safe to eat...awesome!
    We had a carpaccio in a Vietnamese restaurant in San Fran, for the first time, that I've since made a few times.  Sans peanuts.  Basically it's thinly sliced raw eye of round or any other lean roast, cut across the grain when slightly frozen, then laid out in a petal pattern on a platter with an oil, like sesame, and an acid - lemon, lime or rice wine vinegar.  Salt and pepper, then cover it all with finely diced onions, basil, cilantro and maybe some jalapanos.  Make a dipping sauce (rice wine vinegar, soy, ginger, sesame oil, whatever). 

We have some friends that own/run a great Vietnamese restaurant near us - we brought it up and they told us that's a variation of a traditional party dish that men eat - sort of like the equivalent of beer nuts.  I love carpaccio.

Yes I've had the Vietnamese version and it is awesome. I like the Italian style with olive oil, capers, balsamico, pepper and shaved parmesan

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,128
    that looks great, if that were mine it would be gone now.:)) have a friend bringing over some wild goose prosciutto which should be interesting

·
    I ate a little duck prosciutto this morning.  I'd guess duck and goose taste more similar than wild and farm-raised.  Sounds good, let us know how it tastes.

·