Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you cook your steaks

I like to cook my steaks (filet) at around 750 degrees ( makes a good sear ) about 3 minutes on each side. Comes out med. rare. ( I don't have a thermopen , but maybe Santa will bring me one) . My question is.......what's your favorite temp. To cook a steak and why?
Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE

Comments

• GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    I do about the same . Fire bge up to at least 650*. Show those ribeyes the flame and throw the on a plate. Well a slight sear!

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited November 2012
    I am a student of the reverse sear - two reasons, it works better (for me) and SWMBO likes her steak ruined, meaning well done. 

I put my CI grid on the fire ring, platesetter legs up, SS grid on the setter. Get the egg at 200-225 stable. On goes her fillet and 10-15 minutes later mine, rubbed with melted butter/oil and rub of the day, Penzey's Chicago steak or maybe just salt and pepper. Once the fillets hit 120 for mine, 145 for hers, off they come, foil and keep warm, open up the egg which will after-burn to life in just a few minutes. The CI grid is already hot because it has been right over the lump and picks up reflection from the setter. Remove the SS grid and setter. Put the steaks on the CI grid to brown and grid mark the outside, perhaps 1 or 2 minutes each side (cooked to temp - so times are estimates). Another quick 3-5 minute tented rest and serve. My medium rare (135-140) is medium rare almost to the edges, not just in the center and hers is wrecked (some temp meat should never be served at) all the way through - but she is happy.   
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I use a variety of methods, depending on how I feel and the cut and thickness of the meat.  Now that I have my de-lux hot tub (sous vide rig) I did my last steak in a bag, then seared the bejesus out of out.  I'm more into reverse searing like skiddy (I have a small grate that sits on the coals), but other times I'll just cook it straight up like kosko.  I used to use a CI skillet more, but since getting the egg, I prefer the complexity of the smoke on the meat.
    edited November 2012
    650-750.  Put the steak on my the lower section of my swing rack.  Sear for 90 seconds, turn 90 degrees and continue searing for 90 seconds (swing rack leaves great grill marks!).  Turn over and cook to tempature using my thermopen(best direct cook accessory for the egg).  I'm a med-rare guy and the wife and my 3 yr old are more medium steak eaters.
  • 650-750.  Put the steak on my the lower section of my swing rack.  Sear for 90 seconds, turn 90 degrees and continue searing for 90 seconds (swing rack leaves great grill marks!).  Turn over and cook to tempature using my thermopen(best direct cook accessory for the egg).  I'm a med-rare guy and the wife and my 3 yr old are more medium steak eaters.
  • Didn't mention it, but a reverse sear allows smoke to flavor the meat. When you sear at high temps first, I think Nola uses the technical term bejesus, (Chicago style?) the meat does not have time to accept smoke - but if that's what you want, it is the best way to get that result. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Before I built my sous vide controller, I used the T-Rex method.  It worked fine, but sous vide is way to easy to get perfect med-rare.
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    I do the T- Rex method, but nest time I will try the reverae sear.
  • nolaegghead
    Note to self....make "NOLA" branding iron for searing steaks.  Designer steaks are all the rage.  I think VI has a brand.  Also great for hazing co-workers.

I think I might have some 1/4" steel.  I could probably plasma cut something and weld it to a long rod....hmmmm....not another project!
    edited November 2012
    Reverse sear is kinda a poor man's sous vide. The steak is lovingly caressed by the smooth stroke of the smoke, slowly the well oiled "loin" is warmed by and touched, almost fondled, by the indirect flame of the soon to be ravenous smouldering lump, allowing, no helping the rub reach the innermost cells before being brought to a frenzy of medium rare delirium....... Yeah, I need a designer iron to put a name on the next one....maybe something like XXX....
  • nolaegghead
    Ruh roh....more food pr0n!  Skiddy - get a room with that egg!
    For a 1" rib-eye much the same: Cast Iron grill grate, 650 degrees, just over 3 minutes a side, turn 90 degrees midway along cooking a side. Check it with an IR thermo and pull and rest for 5 minutes.

For a big 2", 2# Cowboy steak, like the ones I posted two weeks ago: I used the half moon raised grill grate & drip pan. Egg at 550 degrees. Seared the steaks for 3 minutes a side, 90 degree turn midway through. When the steaks are seared they go up on the raised grill grid to finish indirectly. I used the food probe from my Maverick ET-732 and pull the steak at 127. A 5 minute rest gets it to finish at 135 degrees, a nice medium rare. 
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    trex method for thick steaks, hot tub method for thin
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    Kosko said:
    I like to cook my steaks (filet) at around 750 degrees ( makes a good sear ) about 3 minutes on each side. 
    Maybe I need to try that. I've been doing the TRex method and my steaks are awesome, but it sure takes a long time.

Tim
  • I have been doing a reverse sear lately, and it has been working well for me.  I put the steaks ( 1.5" Ribeye ) indirect at 250 - 300 degrees.  I cook them to an internal temp of around 100 to 110 degrees.  I pull off the steaks, take out the plate setter, and I open the vents to get the temp up as high as it will go.  Then I sear the steaks at about 2 min/ side.  

They seem to be getting a better flavor than searing first.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited November 2012
    Depends on the thickness and cut. The 2.5 in ribeyes I will start on the small and cook at a lower temp 300-325. When the IT get to about 110 I will sear them on the Mimi at about 650 until 122ish. Carry over cooking will do the rest. I don't tent while resting the meat either.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • nolaegghead
    Depends on the thickness and cut. The 2.5 in ribeyes I will start on the small and cook at a lower temp 300-325. When the IT get to about 110 I will sear them on the Mimi at about 650 until 122ish. Carry over cooking will do the rest. I don't tent while resting the meat either.
    +1 on not tenting, at least until the meat rests and internal and external temps equal out.
  • nolaegghead
    Well, I was thinking you want to get rid of the heat so it doesn't overcook, but you're right - it will soften up.
  • Been doing 1.5" ribeyes and strips at 600F dome 4 mins/side with 90* turn. Perfect every time. I see all the sear and then indirect to temp, but mine are done after searing- seems they would be past medium if I went longer...
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes