Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is the BGE Worth it?

Options
2»

Comments

• Dr_Redwine
    Dr_Redwine Posts: 189
    Options
    Jason,
    After reading the responses below I can't add anything that hasn't been said. I was just like you--had a Weber (actually two) and had learned to cook on them just fine. Then I began to investigate methods of very low and slow cooking and realized that I could not do it with a Weber. I just couldn't keep the fire going that low for long periods of time. Heard about the egg and came here to lurk and learn. It IS for real!! My first meal was chicken, and I could tell a difference right off. I gave my Webers away. Now I make things I've never dreamed of: pizza, meatloaf, pastrami, canadian bacon, and on and on. Even if you don't get one for a while, continue to read this forum. You'll learn a lot from the osmosis. HTH.
    DrR

• guavawood
    guavawood Posts: 213
    Options
    Jason,[p]I just got a new large last Sat. It is a quality piece of equiptment let me tell you![p]Easy to put together arrived unbroken here in Hawaii![p]Aloha![p]Greg Kemp

• BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    Options
    Jason,[p]I've been cooking/grilling/bbqing/whatever since the 1970's and I am telling you, the BGE is your best bet. I have spent thousands of dollars over this time using and *replacing* other devices. I currently also have one of those large stainless steel propane rotisserie grills as well. Now, it's used mostly for holding BGE accessories and large scale low to medium-high temp direct grilling. When I am feeding a smaller group, I even use the BGE for that application.[p]Once you are done with your BGE "Tool Box", you are looking at around $1K. It's still cheaper than replacing lower end propane unit every two or three years over the medium to long haul. A lesson I have learned over and over. :-)[p]Just buy one and source good lump charcoal.[p]
  • J Straus
    J Straus Posts: 54
    Options
    Jason,[p]Great stuff below for sure.[p]I've had mine here for 6 years or so and think without a doubt that it's by far the most satisfying way to cook. I decided on the egg after research (and didn't even know about this forum, so it was a bigger leap of faith) when looking for something to do low and slow cooking on. I'd tried other stuff like a Brinkmann, Weber gas, Little Chief etc. I thought the ceramic made sense for holding temp, that it is fuel efficient, and ALSO gets real real hot for searing. I thought "too good to be true", and was a bit worried about grill space. That was the only concern for me. I figured that it would last for a long time and that was why I was willing to buck up and spend the money. Well, I cook for 15-20 fairly often and the large is no problem for that. [p]I started with the egg and a dual function top. I bought some firebricks for doing indirect, and some lump charcoal. Pretty basic for starters, and it served me just fine for years before I got a platesetter, the nest, and a MAPP torch for lighting. You need not start with anything more than the dual-function top and some bricks for indirect, but I'm sure you will eventually get the platesetter and probably the nest. By no means to you have to start with $1000 and all the stuff. I don't have a BBQ Guru (a great tool... maybe some day...) and I have done loads of long cooks, from 5 hour ribs to 30 hour shoulders and I'm comfortable sleeping with this thing running overnight. That's not to say that I have NEVER had a fire go out during the night, but everyone here has and that's part of the whole experience. And believe me, it's a great experience, heck I even keep a journal. The Egg and this list are that inspiring! There's a reason for the level of advocacy in this group.[p]I say go for it, you won't regret it, or look back.[p]Justin
  • Unknown
    Options
    Jason,
    Considering what you are getting it is cheap!
    I don't need a smoker for low and slow, nor a grill for hot searing plus You won't be having to replace the grill every 3 to 5 years from the bottom rusting/burning out.
    The only thing at my house that lights quicker and easier is my stove and but then I have a helluva time keeping the coals in the stove burning.
    C'mon G'head git one and knockyerselfout..........

• Unknown
    Options
    Jason,[p]My wife thought the cost was not worth it. Now I cook her wonderful foods 2x a week and she said it was the best investment we made!
  • Unknown
    Options
    spincycle,
    It is more than worth it, it gets us wives out of the kitchen and it makes the men do all the cooken they want. I am a number one fan of getting out of the kitchen and letting my man cook until his heart content. Thank you BGE for letting the men cook for awhile...