Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Hot Before placing Platesetter?

Options
Why1504
Why1504 Posts: 277
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How Hot do I get the egg before I place my plate setter and pizza stone in the egg for cooking pizza? What Temp to cook the pizza at? THANKS!!

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    FNP,
    If you are using a pizza stone with a place setter it should be about 500 degrees. Place some corm meal on the stone first to keep the crust from burning. Good Luck,[p]Dan

• Unknown
    Options
    FNP,
    Just my opinion but I think that you would want to put the
    plate setter and pizza stone in the Egg right after lighting it
    and let it come up to temp with the Egg. Putting "cold" ceramic
    things into a hot Egg could cause thermal shock and crack the stone
    and/or setter.

• Why1504
    Options
    Green egg Dan,[p]Thanks, Do I put the Plate Setter and stone in @ 500 or the pizza?

• Why1504
    Options
    K_sqrd,[p]THANKS!!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    FNP,
    personally I wait until I know my fire has a good start and put the sitter and the stone on when the dome is an "honest" 300. Then I bring the dome up to 450 to 500. key though with the stone - at least here - there is some humidity issues so I make sure the stone is dry after going through an occassional sweat stage. HTH

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    FNP,
    Always put your plate setter and pizza stone in immediately after starting the coals to prevent thermal shock to each. It will take longer for the temp. to reach your desired range of 500-550 degrees for pizza with this extra ceramic mass so give yourself plenty of time. I usually allow about one hour prior to cooking to initiate the fire starting.....

• Why1504
    Options
    RRP,[p]Thanks, Made 6 pizzas tonight. Mine was the first and the worst. The last one, was the best. Next time I will let the stone sit @ 450 to 550 for at least 20 minutes prior to placing the first pizza. Thank goodness I have a big spatula. It is real difficult to cook a pizza without a peel. I will buy one before next time. THANKS Again.
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    K_sqrd, True. As with brick ovens..heat your pizza crust platform along with the chamber. Your temperature zone is right. Your cook time per pizza will be about 15 to 20 minutes.
    For my own pizza cooks, I use a variety of setups..With a Plate setter, on its legs, on a grill with a firebarrier on the grill. What you do not (IMHO) want is a direct fire to the plate setter or a pizza stone. Just break up that center with whatever.
    You do not need pizza stone on a plate setter or dual stones. There is a reason for that...maybe someone here can fill you in on it.
    C~W[p]