Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

I have a couple mahi filets

Still a newbie here.  This would be my first fish on the egg.  Any suggestions? 
·

Comments

• Coat them lightly with mayo and grill. The mayo will stop them from sticking.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,951
    Oil or like Steve said, mayo (even though I've never tried that), season with old bay or something - or just salt n peppah.  Then cook direct like a steak at medium high maybe 450, both sides, make pretty grill marks, dome closed until the inside is just opaque or 135 F if you have an instant read.  Probably take around 10 minutes give or take.

·
  • Nola, Mayo works like a treat. Doesn't seem to burn off as much as oil and it adds almost no flavour.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,951
    Steve, always happy to put a new trick in my bag o tricks.  Thanks, I'll give it a shot, and if it doesn't work, I sorta know where you live :D

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,472

This is all I use. Or S&P is very good as well.

imageimage
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • biggest  and most common mistake with grilled fish is overcooking it. It should still be a little opaque in the middle. I still do fish by feel and I can't find the sweet spot on the thermapen. Love mahi on the egg. I'm a salt and pepper guy

·
  • Mickey,

I learned the trick from Little Chef (Michelle) in the other forum. Poolcreature and I went on a charter and I took a six pound filet to the Ocala afterparty. I dumped it on her to cook and she did it with the mayo. It was golden brown and wonderful. Not a scrap stuck to the grid. Been using it ever since

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • I used the mayo, salt and pepper and did it right over 400 degrees for 10 minutes.  Came out great.  Thanks for all the help.
    ·
  • ShedFarmShedFarm Posts: 499
    edited November 2012
    I did mahi mahi last night as well, though I glazed it in teriyaki sauce. I seared it on the skin side first, so I could peel it off after a couple of minutes, leaving more surface for the glaze to adhere.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
    ·
  • TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Why do I want Mahi Mahi Now? Off to Central Market now.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,472
    Little Steven on the mayo. Do you taste it or see it after cooking?
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • No not at all.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Mayo works great! Just make sure it's not fat free mayo. It's the fat that prevents the meat from sticking
    ·