Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jalapeno Cheese Venison Sausage ?s

Options
Looking for some pointers on making some jalapeno cheese sausage out of a doe I shot this past weekend. I tried using the google and looking through some threads on various forums,  but haven't really found what I'm looking for. I am not wanting to do summer sausage at this point, so no tips there please. I do want to smoke it and I have cure for that. What I have gathered is about 60/40 venison to pork butt (all the way up to 70/30). But how much cheese per pound? Jalapenos? What about other seasonings such as pepper, salt, garlic or others? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• duck_hunter
    Options
    I do something similar to this 
    if you are purchasing a kit for the skin and spice some of them come with cheese, I will look for the recipe of the last jalapeno cheddar venison ones I did, did not see them on this comp, maybe on ipad, I post is once I find it
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Not so much concerned about the technique, I got that down, more looking for a recipe/ingredients. Wasn't planning of purchasing a kit of any kind. Just using what I have on hand.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• duck_hunter
    Options
    Found it

per 3 lbs of meat, I don't cut the pork when adding cheese and I like it, I'm sure it would be good with pork added too

3 tablespoons of maple sugar cure (I like the maple flavor with jalapenos, any sugar cure is good)
    3 teaspoons mustard seed, I use half brown half yellow
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 cup shredded cheddar
    three jalapenos 
    2 tablespoons DP redeye
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm no expert on this, but I do recall that they sell high temperature cheeses for sausage.