Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cold Smoked Salmon - pic heavy

Shot this a while back, but just got access to my flash card.

This is cured (according to Ruhlman's Charcuterie) and cold smoked with cherry and apple.

This was the trial run before I did the steelhead trout.  I made some adjustments after this experiment.
imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

·

Comments

• SteveWPBFLSteveWPBFL Posts: 1,271
    That's an air conditioner in the salmon box?

·
  • misumisu Posts: 213
    that rig almost looks cooler than the fish :) please tell us more about it you just inspired me to make a cold smoking box out of an old fridge
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,776
    That is too cool!!

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • Where is the flux capacitor? Pretty cool!
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,810
    I'll post some pics of the construction sometime today when I get a chance.

·
  • nola,

I've been waiting for cooler temperatures to do cold smoked salmon in my XL using a pellet tray for smoke.  What would you consider a safe ambient temperature for smoking the fish?
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    Very interested in your cold smoke cabinet!
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
    nola,

I've been waiting for cooler temperatures to do cold smoked salmon in my XL using a pellet tray for smoke.  What would you consider a safe ambient temperature for smoking the fish?
    If you cure it, and you have to for cold smoking, it's more about texture and flavor than temperature.  If you get the fish above 90-95 F, it completely changes the texture of the meat.  Colder is better, and I was around 60-65, but I'm sure you'd be fine anywhere below 80F.  I added sodium nitrite to my cure mostly for color and botulism paranoia relief.

·
    Where is the flux capacitor? Pretty cool!
    That's in my Delorean, of course!

·
  • Nola, Is the fan thermostat controlled?. Didn't see a box temp on it but I'm sure you have one. 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    I bought an Aubor or whatever they're called for it.  Don't have it hooked up yet.  Just letting the ac run keeps it around 60.

·
  • Is it a cabinet air conditioner (Industrial)?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    No.  Cheap $99 dollar LG.  Idea is I use the stoker to balance the heat so the AC has a 4000-5000 btu load, and it can run constantly, and achieve a stable, acceptable temp.  Lots of smoke that way.

·
  • And not much gets out ;) Very cool idea. We build control panels and use several kinds of enclosure air conditioners. In this climate I wouldn't need much

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    This was the first time I used the smoker.   The salmon quality was not-so-fresh, but I went through the process anyway, figured nothing to lose and it would be good practice.  The next time I did steelhead and it was unbelievably good - I have about 4 people that want to buy salmon (and steelhead) and have me cure and smoke it. 

·