Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Short Ribs w/BGE Sear and Reduced Balsamic Wine Sauce

Options
nolaegghead
nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
edited November 2012 in EggHead Forum
Finally got a flash card reader so I used a decent camera this time.

Grass fed short ribs bagged with some raising the steaks DP then Sous Vide at 135 for about 60 hours, then let cool down a bit, then seared.  Poured the bag juice into the balsamic and wine reduction sauce.  Split a monster Idaho baker.  The meat was still pink and as tender as a tenderloin.   Delicious.

imageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Looks awesome! Can't wait to set up my hack sous vide. :D

Why 60 hours? Could they have been done sooner? Seems like a really long time...
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I wanted a medium rare short rib.  Takes a long time for he collagen to break down at 135F.  I could have done 5 or 6 hours at 178 and they would be tender, but a different flavor profile and on the well done side.  If you have the luxury of time, you can achieve a juicier texture at lower temperatures because the protein doesn't denature as much and squeeze out the moisture.  There's wasn't much moisture in the bag after the cooking.  That first pic is the bag post-cook.
    Options
    Nice rack
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I think I will try this. A recipie for the sauce? Looks delicious!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options

Fantastic shot on the grill!!  Those look tremendous

• nolaegghead
    Options
    GlennM said:
    I think I will try this. A recipie for the sauce? Looks delicious!
    The sauce is just some decent red wine, garlic, the juice from the sous vide bag, tiny bit of corn starch and balsamic vinegar.  Reduced, adjust salt levels by diluting with wine or adding more sauce.  Fat is from rib juice.