Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Sous Vide Short Ribs w/BGE Sear and Reduced Balsamic Wine Sauce

nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,825
edited November 2012 in EggHead Forum
Finally got a flash card reader so I used a decent camera this time.

Grass fed short ribs bagged with some raising the steaks DP then Sous Vide at 135 for about 60 hours, then let cool down a bit, then seared.  Poured the bag juice into the balsamic and wine reduction sauce.  Split a monster Idaho baker.  The meat was still pink and as tender as a tenderloin.   Delicious.

imageimageimageimageimage

·

Comments

• cazzycazzy Posts: 7,566
    Looks awesome! Can't wait to set up my hack sous vide. :D

Why 60 hours? Could they have been done sooner? Seems like a really long time...
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,825
    I wanted a medium rare short rib.  Takes a long time for he collagen to break down at 135F.  I could have done 5 or 6 hours at 178 and they would be tender, but a different flavor profile and on the well done side.  If you have the luxury of time, you can achieve a juicier texture at lower temperatures because the protein doesn't denature as much and squeeze out the moisture.  There's wasn't much moisture in the bag after the cooking.  That first pic is the bag post-cook.

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,179
    Nice rack
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • GlennMGlennM Posts: 372
    I think I will try this. A recipie for the sauce? Looks delicious!
    ·
  • TonyATonyA Posts: 563

Fantastic shot on the grill!!  Those look tremendous

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,825
    GlennM said:
    I think I will try this. A recipie for the sauce? Looks delicious!
    The sauce is just some decent red wine, garlic, the juice from the sous vide bag, tiny bit of corn starch and balsamic vinegar.  Reduced, adjust salt levels by diluting with wine or adding more sauce.  Fat is from rib juice.

·