Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help needed with Dutch Oven on Medium Egg

Options
Wife wants to get me a Dutch Oven or Camp Stove to use with our Med. Egg.  Anyone have a thought on what is the biggest size that will fit?  I've got the 15" grate.  Have seen a 5 quart that is 10.25" diameter with loop handles that looks like it would fit. Am interested in your opinions also on which is better, camp stove with the feet or dutch oven with flat bottom.  Have really been inspired by all of the cooks you've posted where you've used your DO.  Thanks in advance for your advice.  

Comments

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    I've got a 7qt DO with a flat bottom.  There is plenty of room so I'm pretty sure it would fit a medium.  I got a flat bottom so I could just put it on my grate and not worry about it tipping over.  The Lodge site, www.lodgemfg.com gives dimensions of all their products.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• khristyjeff
    Options
    Thanks BeanCounter.  Will look that over.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I do mine on the large...on the pacesetter. Mine has legs...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    My 5+ qt, with loop handles will not fit on the grid at the felt line in my MBGE (it is a Lowensware - made by the JA Pan company). It is about the same size you mention, 10.5". It fits nicely on 1" spacers on the setter, legs up. Must admit, I seldom use it, if I'm going to cook something covered, I just use the crock pot so may not be the best to comment. Good luck
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

5 qt fits easily on the platesetter (use a spacer under DO).  7 qt may fit, but could get hot as it may sit at the edge of the platesetter and get exposed to extra heat.   I leave the top off the DO for a portion of the cook to get some smoke, then use the lid once we feel there is enough smoke.

Beans and chili are great this time of the year.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA