Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

You only get ONE accessory.

What's it gonna be? 

Monteagle, TN

one large and one small

·

Comments

• Thermapen
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,862
    First a thermapen then a plate setter.
    ·
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,425
    Adj. rig combo.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,433
    Platesetter.
    XL and a Mini Max Egg in Cincinnati, Ohio
    ·
  • Thank God we're free so don't have to make this choice! But if I had to, I would take a second Egg. You can always use an old hubcap to go indirect. Thermapen close second place.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • @Fred19Flintstone - I'm calling you if I find a magic lamp.
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,582
    Tin foil.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • BENTEBENTE Posts: 8,337
    platestter then thermapen

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,430
    Ordered my thermapen this weekend. If you order a desert storm model, tan with the American flag, $9 goes to an injured soldier program.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • @Fred19Flintstone - I'm calling you if I find a magic lamp.

Priorities man! I told Wilma we're getting a small to go along with our large and that's final! OK, for some reason she went along with it because I'm not wealthy. The point is I got a pair!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,422
    Thermapen. Do not use my platesetters.......
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,422
    @Fred19Flintstone - I'm calling you if I find a magic lamp.
    Priorities man! I told Wilma we're getting a small to go along with our large and that's final! OK, for some reason she went along with it because I'm not wealthy. The point is I got a pair!
    Pair = Large & Small
    ^:)^
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Yeah, they don't match, but they git 'er done!

·
  • KY

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • My accessory would be beer! Is this an accessory or a necessity?
    ·
  • tgklemantgkleman Posts: 206
    fat bank account
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,430

KY

KY. Kentucky or jelly?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Lifetime supply of quality lump! Without the egg is just a really big and fancy paperweight. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • I guess I'm not understanding why the thermapen is so valuable.  I have a wirless thermometer.  I don't have to even go out to my deck to see what temp my meat is at the remote tells me right in the kitchen. 

I'm not knocking the thermapen but I guess I don't understand how it's superior to a normal wireless kit.

·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,077
    edited November 2012
    @Stargazer, the Thermapen is the only way to tell if a steak or chicken breast is cooked, assuming you are doing more than one. If you have 30 wings on a grid, the Thermapen can tell you in less than a minute how they are all doing, your food probe can't tell you about any of them. It is a different tool for a different job. The value is the <3 second accurate reading. You don't have to hold it with a glove or pair of pliers waiting for it to read. 
    Wireless probe is great for a pork butt, but when it reads 195, is the whole butt there? Thermapen confirms temp anywhere in the butt in seconds. It is a great tool. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,259
    Skiddy - that would be 90 seconds, not a minute, to check 30 wings - stop exaggerating. :D

·
  • ronthorontho Posts: 109
    Is meat an accessory?
    ·
    rontho said:
    Is meat an accessory?
    Meat can be an accessory....

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/8-facts-about-lady-gagas-meat-dress

·
  • ronthorontho Posts: 109
    rontho said:
    Is meat an accessory?
    Meat can be an accessory....

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/8-facts-about-lady-gagas-meat-dress

=))
    ·
  • @Stargazer, the Thermapen is the only way to tell if a steak or chicken breast is cooked, assuming you are doing more than one. If you have 30 wings on a grid, the Thermapen can tell you in less than a minute how they are all doing, your food probe can't tell you about any of them. It is a different tool for a different job. The value is the <3 second accurate reading. You don't have to hold it with a glove or pair of pliers waiting for it to read. 
    Wireless probe is great for a pork butt, but when it reads 195, is the whole butt there? Thermapen confirms temp anywhere in the butt in seconds. It is a great tool. 

Thank you for the explanation.  Makes a ton of sense to me now.  I do a lot of roasts on my egg so I get a lot of use from my wireless probe.  I'll have to keep and eye out for them on Amazon and look for a sale.

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,298
    Stargaze said:
    @Stargazer, the Thermapen is the only way to tell if a steak or chicken breast is cooked, assuming you are doing more than one. If you have 30 wings on a grid, the Thermapen can tell you in less than a minute how they are all doing, your food probe can't tell you about any of them. It is a different tool for a different job. The value is the <3 second accurate reading. You don't have to hold it with a glove or pair of pliers waiting for it to read. 

Thank you for the explanation.  Makes a ton of sense to me now.  I do a lot of roasts on my egg so I get a lot of use from my wireless probe.  I'll have to keep and eye out for them on Amazon and look for a sale.

The best you are going to find is the $69 open-box deal they do every few months. Otherwise, used on ebay/craigslist. If you have Amazon Prime, you can save on the shipping and usually grab it for $89. Basic colors only, though. If you want one of the Special Edition ones, I have only seen them on the thermoworks site.
    ·
    and don't forget some colors read faster than others

·
  • I'll take Little Steven's knowledge. ;) 
    ·
  • Just give me a free bag of Wicked Good.  I make all my own tools and accessories.  I spend my good money my favorite grilling meats.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
    ·
  • One more vote for Thermapen.  I have all the others but you can jury-rig raised grids and all that other stuff.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
    ·