Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New fangled charcoal grate

I've purchased an after market charcoal grate for my LG egg.  The picture is below

I'm noticing that I go through coal a lot faster than before but yet I'm not cooking at higher temps or anything.  I'm almost at the point of going back to the stock grate.  The one thing I'll fess up to is that I am not disciplined about my coal placement.  I've read that you should start with large chunks at the bottom, the medium on top finishing with small pieces at the very top.  I just dump coal in my egg and go.

Anyone have any input? 

Comments

• You are correct, the cheapest way to operate the BGE is with the stock grate ...cleaning regularly.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• I have one & I dump & go as well. The High Q grate is designed to improve airflow and eliminate the grate getting clogged by ash requiring a wiggle rod. If your fire went out on an overnight cook, generally its because of that.
    It doesn't change the law of physics that states fire consumes oxygen. If you limit the air, you limit the fire.
    Flint, Michigan
  • I just bought one as well, Definitely lights quicker imo. I like it so far, no complaints. 

I bought the PSWOO2 as well, now that thing is great if you have a preexisting platesetter. its perfect :)
    Braselton, GA.
  • had one in my medium - definitely went through lump faster. I am sticking with the stock grate in my Large. With the CyberQ, I have yet to have a fire go out on an overnight
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I don't understand how it would result in burning lump less efficiently unless magic was involved.
    edited November 2012
    I don't understand how it would result in burning lump less efficiently unless magic was involved.
    Not magic, it is the time space continuum. I found the High-Que seemed to be eating up more lump, but in reality, it was not. It does get hotter faster (more air) and it is dependable on low and slows. It is superior to the OEM grate. If the air flow to the fire is limited, the burn rate must be the same, as Nola says, it can't be less efficient. Burning lump creates heat, if the heat in the dome is the same and the High-Q goes through more lump, check the egg for cracks - and I mean throw a cat through it cracks. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!