Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Ribs- apple juice timing?

MJQ8MJQ8 Posts: 43

Seasons greetings to all!

I have been reading about spraying apple juice on ribs. On the two rib cooks I have done, I have done this after the EVOO and rub applications but before the smoker. Seems to come out fine. We like it but is there a more suitable time for this? If only doing a 3 hour cook, does it need to be done more often?

Thanks,

Mike

Any cook you can walk away from is a good one.
·

Comments

• Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,864
    I spritz mine with apple juice, apple cider vinegar and water 1/3 each.  Start after an hour or so into the cook and do every 30 minutes or so.  When in a sweet mood I use orange juice instead of apple juice and sometimes soy sauce for the apple when doing oriental.

Some cooks are 375 for 2 hours and some are 225-250 for 5-6 hours this also works for beef ribs.
    ·
  • I spray mine down every hour with 50/50 cider vinegar and apple juice. Check out Car Wash Mike.
    ·
  • MJQ8MJQ8 Posts: 43
    Thanks guys!
    ·
  • Every 1/2 hr with apple cider/apple cider vinegar mixture
    ·
  • MJQ8MJQ8 Posts: 43

From what I have been reading in these posts about spraying interavals am I correct to have the impression that ribs get dried out easily even at low temps? Or are you guys doing this often for flavor? The more I read, the more I read the expression "if your looking, your not cooking" so I am a little confused.

Thanks!

·