Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Get ready to turn up the heat as we dive into August. While there are only a few weeks left to perfect those tailgate recipes, summer isn’t over yet! Two things we’ll be making this month are Chile Rubbed Grilled Pork Chops and Bell Pepper Kabobs. Then, relax after a cookout with a cool dessert cooked on your EGG - Ice Cream Sandwiches! You can mix and match your favorite cookie flavors with ice cream flavors. Simple, yet delicious!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How does the Egg keep foods so moist?

OK - How does the Egg keep foods moist while cooking?  Is it the fire of the lump for heat? The ceramic I ma sure aids in keeping the temps steady but heat is let out through the top opening.

I used to use a Weber gasser that always dried the foods out.Even at a recent tailgate, I tried grilling (Coleman Road Trip propane gas)dome chicken legs using Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin and I hated them on the gas but love them on the Egg.

Just want to know why I am addicted to this madness of the Egg.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• No air leakage
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,983
    Combustion generates water and the environment is well sealed so it has more humidity than conventional grills/smokers.

2C7H4O + 15O2 ==> 4H2O + 14CO2

• Combustion doesn't generate water in this case because you're burning carbon.

The Egg keeps food moist because less it holds the heat in, requiring less fuel to be burned.  Therefore it requires less airflow than a typical metal barbecuer.  Less airflow means less drying out of the food. 
    Lump isn't pure charcoal.  It averages out to be C7H4O.  But you're right - there's less airflow.

• Lump isn't pure charcoal.  It averages out to be C7H4O.  But you're right - there's less airflow.
    Ya learn something everyday.  I bet Wicked Good is around C50H40.

I am now going to convert my egg to propane to get more moisture:

C3H8 + 5O2 ==> 3 CO2 + 4 H2O

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,905
    Thank you professor!  :-B

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nola where did you get the formula?  Most MSDS sheets list it only as C.  To your point various woods will reabsorb moisture, oak lump reabsorbs 5%.from what I have read.  

yall  might enjoy
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    nola where did you get the formula?  Most MSDS sheets list it only as C.  To your point various woods will reabsorb moisture, oak lump reabsorbs 5%.from what I have read.  

yall  might enjoy
    I saw that formula in a couple of places - it's probably more of a ratio that a molecular formula.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charcoal#Production_methods

Anyway, it's an impure, amorphous form of carbon.  I grind up lump all the time and use it like carbon black for filling in holes in reclaimed wood furniture (mixed with latex wood filler).  Lovely stuff.

• nola wrote:Anyway, it's an impure, amorphous form of carbon.  I grind up lump all the time and use it like carbon black for filling in holes in reclaimed wood furniture (mixed with latex wood filler).  Lovely stuff.
    That was a tip on one of the This Old House Magazines several years ago.
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    edited November 2012

nola wrote:Anyway, it's an impure, amorphous form of carbon.  I grind up lump all the time and use it like carbon black for filling in holes in reclaimed wood furniture (mixed with latex wood filler).  Lovely stuff.
    That was a tip on one of the This Old House Magazines several years ago.
    No kidding - and I thought I was being clever.  ;)   I actually bought a Kitchen Aid spice mill to dedicate to lump grinding....

• I thought the Egg keeps things moist because the Mothership includes Eggy Magic inside each one!  Or maybe its elves?

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

I thought the Egg keeps things moist because the Mothership includes Eggy Magic inside each one!  Or maybe its elves?
    Magic egg...hmmm...keeps it moist.....sounds like something the ladies would like.  brown-chicken-brown-cow

• I thought the Egg keeps things moist because the Mothership includes Eggy Magic inside each one!  Or maybe its elves?

Fred, I think elves are part of the Keebler cookie tree before it is made into lump. I'm going with your suggestion of magic. 
    The answer is low air flow and a sealed hot space = little drying effect on the food, Nola equation please....
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    pig flesh + egg + entropy = tasty deliciousness!

• Some of them posts sounds like a nasty yeast infection
  • Magic, elves or equations.  What's the difference?  Any which way, in the right hands, it all leads to great food!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,343
    Rob,
    Here is my guess. The Egg, once it heats up, needs very little air to stay at temp. Air carries moisture with it, so the more air that flows through, the more moisture is lost.

Just a hunch, but it's what I am thinkin.
    Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,718
    Once you master all the above-here's the chemistry key-lots of C2H5OH-it will fix anything in the near-term.  Downstream explanations may be a bit of a challenge :)>-
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    lousubcap said:
    Once you master all the above-here's the chemistry key-lots of C2H5OH-it will fix anything in the near-term.  Downstream explanations may be a bit of a challenge :)>-
    Buurrrrrp (CO2).  I agree (*hic*) totally.

• I'm scared now [-O<

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Steve, when you go to bed tonight - just remember you're basically a little bag of chemicals that are reacting with each other, and somehow all that hydrochloric acid in your stomach isn't burning a hole through your PJs, bed and floor. 

• SteveWPBFLSteveWPBFL Posts: 1,284
    When cooking indirect the food is centered in a thermally convective volume due to the dome as well as a thermally radiative volume due to the ceramic dome, which tends to seal and cook the food evenly from all of the outer surfaces in toward the center.
  • You guys are so analytical. Sometimes you have to let art flow over you.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

I'm more artist than scientist.  Scientist pays the bills though.

• You guys are cracking me up tonight. =))
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,285
    What's everyone's favorite rub for elf-meat?  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    Botch said:
    What's everyone's favorite rub for elf-meat?  
    I prefer Gold Bond Medicated Rub for elf meat.  They're a little gamey.