Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first attempt at Montreal Smoked Meat

Options

O.K. I know all you folks to the south just went through your turkey day and everyone is talking turkey, but I thought you might like to hear about my first attempt at Montreal Smoked Meat. I have often heard of Montreal Smoked Meat before but have never actually tasted it. I had my idea of what it should taste like. I followed a discussion on another forum that contained a recipe for it and it was described as a clone to Shwartz's. Shwartz Montreal Smoked Meat is supposed to be world famous and is frequented by many celebrities. Before I go into my experience of creating this meat, here is a link to that discussion. http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/794033 . The recipe is about 8 posts down. The recipe called for a 6 kilogram brisket (about 13 pounds) I had a 4 pound flat. I cut the recipe in half and still have enough left over to make another 2 of these things. Following the recipe, I dry rubbed the meat, wrapped it in cling wrap, sealed it in a zip lock bag and put it in the fridge for a week turning over twice a day. Saturday came and it was time to cook the brisket on the BGE at 250 F. for 4 hours in the maple smoke. (It snowed all day. We ended up with about 10 inches of that filthy white stuff.) I then wrapped it in tin foil and continued to cook for another 4 hours. Final internal temp. was 196 F. Wrapped the whole thing up again and put it in the fridge (after cooling). Next day I placed the brisket in a roasting pan on a rack with a small amount of water and basically let it steam for about 5 hours. My house filled with the wonderful aromas of the smoked meat. Now, as far as how it tasted? I personally thought that it was a little too peppery however aside from that it tasted exactly as I imagined the meat to be. It was as the original poster stated, "Deeeelicious" I noticed how brutal some of you were to a guy that did not post any pictures, so here they are.imageimageimage

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

Comments

• Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    Options
    As a guy from Montreal, I can attest that this looks great! Im off to lunch to eat a smoked meat sandwich myself . 
    Quebec - Canada
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    looks great to me. never having had it, the recipe looks like pastrami but omitting maybe the garlic?
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Options
    MSM is one of the true treats on the continent. To be authentic it should be steamed to reheat after smoking, thin sliced and piled three inches high(min).

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sounds like pastrami except a dry cure rather than a corning.
    Options

Sounds like pastrami except a dry cure rather than a corning.
    corning can be done dry or as a brine, i think its just missing garlic for a pastrami base flavor. some places here cure corned beef dry and dont even use the pink curing salts, just kosher salt, they call them grey but they cook up a darker brown. anyways, might try that montreal smoked meat recipe soon
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Options
    I'm going to have to try that, maybe I'll finish it in the pressure cooker as per Thirdeye's recipe
  • FlashkaBob
    Options
    All I know folks is that it was DAMNED GOOD!

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2012
    Options
    It uses something akin to Montreal steak spice as the main flavour profile. I've never had New York pastrami but have had it in a lot of delis on the east coast and the MSM is the bomb.

Steve 

Caledon, ON