Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mold in Egg

JR
JR Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone experienced mold in their egg? If so, what is the cause/remedy? Thanks much

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    JR, I've never had a mold problem, but I use my egg at least every other day -- not much time for the mold to latch on. [p]Where is the mold appearing? Is your egg exposed to the elements? How long since your last cook? [p]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    JR,
    Like Gfw, I use my egg so often I don't have the problem. The closed environment of humpty is the perfect place for mold to grow. The remedy is to fire it up and cook. [p]You can probably prevent the buildup by opening the cap, and the bottom vent on dry days to keep it aired out...especially after you have rain. Cooking more often is another solution!![p]HTH
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • JR,
    Keep on, keep on smokin'!

• Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    JR,[p] There was a thread on this about a month ago, you might want to check the archives. I have two eggs, so each doesn't always get used routinely. I have my small under the BGE cover but sitting close to the ground (hope to get to the table for it soon). After a wet spell a few months back, I opened Shorty to find the entire inside covered with pretty blue mold. I wiped down the inside with an old rag and fired it up. Once it got to 700F, I figured the mold was probably rendered pretty much harmless. I recommend the same treatment for your BGE. Best advice I can give for the future is to do a short high-temp run after each cook to burn off any leftover drippings, then uncover your BGE for a few sunny hours after it rains for a long time to let it air out. If mold don't have food, and it don't have water, I figure it should stay away![p]MikeO
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Really coincidental, but right after I finished reading your post, I went to do a cook on my mini. Has been a couple weeks and we've had LOTS of rain. Opened it up and sure enough, mold. Well, babyegg doesn't use much lump, so I threw in a couple handfuls and got that thing as hot as it would go. Let it burn through the entire load of lump with both vents open (was hitting about 900 degrees) and when it started to cool off, I opened it up. Obviously no more mold. Or lump. Or stuff on the grill. I took it as a sign to use babyegg more often (I usually use it the most, but have been doing big item cooks lately on the medium).[p]