Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Merry Christmas and may your holiday be filled with delicious food and loved ones...to help you devour the food! Our Holiday Entertaining Guide can help if you’re still making a Christmas menu. If you’re looking for fun, last minute holiday activities, check out EGGcellent Sugar Cookies, BGE Cake Pops, Santa Hat Brownies, Pig Candy or Holiday Drinks! See you in the New Year EGGheads!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Eye of round for deli

I recently purchased a meat slicer to begin making my own deli. I have a small eye of round roast thawing right now. I would normally not cook such a lean cut of beef, but think for sandwich meat it will be quite good. Does anyone have any suggestions as how to best prepare and cook meat for the sole purpose of slicing? Thanks and happy Thanksgiving to all my friends in the US celebrating this weekend.
LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario

Comments

• bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,380
    edited November 2012
    i've done rump roasts all i did was rub on it and cooked to a internal temp of about 140/145 left it cool in the fridge over night then sliced it thin turned out really great. Good luck your find you wont buy roast beef at the deli anymore 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • BENTEBENTE Posts: 8,337

i would make pit beef here is a link to how i learned to make it

http://www.wessb.com/Cooks/pitbeef/Pit_beef.htm

i even use a eye of round roast when i make it

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• I use Eye of Round all the time, and have found this Italian beef recipe to be my go to cook. Sometimes a charred outside is nice on a roast, but for sammies I like flavor from the meat and crunch only from the veggies.

After chilling the meat, slice paper thin and it can make a great cold sammie or follow the whole Italian beef route and you have a fantastic meal. 

I use this giardiniera recipe, it has lots of zip. 

IMGP2459.jpg
    4288 x 2848 - 1M
    IMGP2463.jpg
    4288 x 2848 - 932K
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • Greeno55Greeno55 Posts: 439
    @Skiddymarker - I was looking at this Italian beef recipe before and was intrigued. I'm glad you commend it. Do you cook it indirect with the stock in a pan as well? What temp to you cook at? @BENTE - I will definitely give it a try. Unfortunately some people here won't eat sandwiches unless well done. I'll wait and make this a special treat for me and the boys. I love the char on it.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • @Greeno55 - Indirect, setter legs up, 350 - 400 dome works fine. In the photo you can see I use pyrex with the bullion sitting on the grid. I use a $store cooling rack on top of the pyrex to "rack" the meat above the liquid. I take to an internal of 130 - 135, then off, foil on a plate and into the fridge to cool. Because you are cooking over liquid, there is no bark or crust, the outside of the meat will be soft and moist. Once cool, slice paper thin (we freeze in two sammie packs). The key is to have the broth at near boil, drop the meat in to warm only and then get it, still dripping, onto a bun. 
    I prefer the giardiniera recipe I note over Meatheads. You may want to go easy on the jalapenos until you find your comfort zone. (true Italian beef uses pepperoccini, they are hard to find and jalapenos work fine)
    There is no real difference with using the oven or using the egg for this recipe. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter.