Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Instructional Brisket!

cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited November 2012 in EggHead Forum
My brother-in-law has started BBQ'ing more seriously these days.  He has made a couple flats using a off-set smoker and had good results using unconventional methods.  We've been talking and i've been providing tips, but we made a plan to go over the whole process while he was here for Thanksgiving.  

It started with picking out a packer instead of the "super trimmed" flat he used before.  We went through 20 packers at Costco and got the most malleable brisket they had available.  Last night, we went over trimming, seasoning, my preference on cooking temp (250 grid) and how long I estimated the cook to take.  I was very confident providing all the invaluable information i've learned on this board and through trial and error.  

He was amazed how efficient the egg was with lump/temperature control and now understands the term "if you're looking, you're not cooking".  I opened the egg once to put it on and removed the brisket the 1st temp/tenderness check.  When the funds permit, we will have another egghead for sure!   :)

The end result was amazing and was probably the best "complete" brisket i've made to date.  

I "highly" stressed the importance of slicing against the grain and now he understands what separating the point from the flat means. I tried to use a ham slicer (normally user Mister Twister Electric Knife) as I wanted to see if there is any truth to the rumor that the serrated edges and sawing motion of electric knives dry out the surface of the cut meat.  I'm still not a believer of that but I will say that the ham knife definitely didn't cut the mustard.  I want to pick up this knife http://www.cutleryandmore.com/victorinox-forschner-fibrox/hollow-edge-slicing-knife-p13536  Thoughts? 

One thing I tried differently this cook was cooking the brisket fat cap down.  Not a fan!  Not because of the end result of the product but more because I'd rather lose the "top bark" from the flat and not "my precious" point.  The one thing I enjoy most about BBQ is experimenting and all the knowledge I acquire from each cook.

Slimy membrane between the flat & point not yet removed but you can really see the point goodness.   :D

Picture doesn't do it justice but the flat was actually very good and by far the best flat i've produced.  Geez, did I really just say that??   L-)

I say it was a great lesson and he was a pretty good student!   :)
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    cazzy I've got 2 of the 12" slicing knives that's on the website you posted, love them.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    @cazzy looks great , brisket is by far my favorite so far also nice that you made a future egghead  
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • cazzy
    billyray said:
    cazzy I've got 2 of the 12" slicing knives that's on the website you posted, love them.
    thanks billyray!  I heard they were good but glad to get some reassurance!
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Cazzy, That looks incredible. I Ate Pecan Lodge yesterday here in Dallas and that brisket looks exactly likes his. I still have not prefected the juicy part off the brisket.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Good Job ! I am gonna have to try one,I made one last week "travisstrisck" style turned out great ! But would like to compare.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Looks like the knives are on special today- I would have picked the 14 inch but the 12 inch has a better discount- might be easier to store and just as good?
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Looks great!

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Maybe the 14"??
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • cazzy
    booksw said:

Maybe the 14"??

I'm picking up the 14". I read up some more on them and they appear to be pretty good.

• cazzy
    TUTTLE871 said:

Cazzy, That looks incredible. I Ate Pecan Lodge yesterday here in Dallas and that brisket looks exactly likes his. I still have not prefected the juicy part off the brisket.

Thanks Tuttle! What technique do you use?
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Nice looking brisket Cazzy! I have that knife in a 12" & it is plenty long enough for any brisket. I've been considering getting a 10" instead for those times when I need to take a slicer with me. IMO and for my needs the 14" would be overkill & I'd never really need the extra 2". I use their magnetic blade guards for storage & travel and I don't see one offered for a 14": http://www.cutleryandmore.com/victorinox-forschner/edge-mag-magnetic-blade-guard-set-p111399
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • cazzy
    R2Egg2Q said:

Nice looking brisket Cazzy! I have that knife in a 12" & it is plenty long enough for any brisket. I've been considering getting a 10" instead for those times when I need to take a slicer with me. IMO and for my needs the 14" would be overkill & I'd never really need the extra 2". I use their magnetic blade guards for storage & travel and I don't see one offered for a 14": http://www.cutleryandmore.com/victorinox-forschner/edge-mag-magnetic-blade-guard-set-p111399

Thanks for the info! I guess I'll get the 12"...but I am a Texan so there is someone whispering in my ear that "bigger is better" lol
  • Great Job Cazzy, cooking and teaching! Wish I had a mentor to teach me the ropes!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    cazzy said:

Using a Flat insted of Packer was my first problem. I cook it at 200 where I should be at 275 or 300 (I think this is me still thinking I am using my old smoker).

But I do like to marinate my brisket in Beer and Alegro the day before and coat them with DP Red Eye.

My next plan is to go to my favorite butcher (Rudolphs in Dallas) and get a packer and cook at 275 or 300 and set it and forget it.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• TUTTLE871 said:
    cazzy said:

Using a Flat insted of Packer was my first problem. I cook it at 200 where I should be at 275 or 300 (I think this is me still thinking I am using my old smoker).

But I do like to marinate my brisket in Beer and Alegro the day before and coat them with DP Red Eye.

My next plan is to go to my favorite butcher (Rudolphs in Dallas) and get a packer and cook at 275 or 300 and set it and forget it.

and you will be eating the best brisket you have ever had. Perfect plan. I can't imagine what a rudolph's brisket would set you back but I love that place. My dad started taking me there 20 years ago (at least) We did Kuby's a lot too. Both great places.;

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy

TUTTLE871 said:

cazzy said:

TUTTLE871 said:

and you will be eating the best brisket you have ever had. Perfect plan. I can't imagine what a rudolph's brisket would set you back but I love that place. My dad started taking me there 20 years ago (at least) We did Kuby's a lot too. Both great places.;

I agree...good plan! Lose the marinade and let the quality beef speak for itself!

I keep mine pretty simple now....trim, season, oak and pull around 195-203 when the probe inserts like I'm temp checking butter.

• Dang! I cant believe this one slipped my attention. Very nice. I love the first cross section pic. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • cazzy said:
    TUTTLE871 said:
    cazzy said:

I agree...good plan! Lose the marinade and let the quality beef speak for itself! I keep mine pretty simple now....trim, season, oak and pull around 195-203 when the probe inserts like I'm temp checking butter.
    me too. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX