Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Third cook and first pizza - mixed results (Pic heavy)

kbutler84
kbutler84 Posts: 140
edited November 2012 in EggHead Forum
Thought I'd give deep dish pizza a shot, and while it tasted good for the most part, I'll definitely make changes for next time.  Will split the dough in half and freeze half next time as the crust was too big even for a deep dish.  Also it ended up a bit bland.  But other than that, it actually tasted pretty good as a whole.  Can see how this, like most things, takes time and much practice to perfect.

Used this recipe for the dough

Edit:
Sorry for the duplicate images.  Tried to delete and reupload with rotated images, but it wouldn't let me delete the originals (and apparently not rotate either)

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited November 2012
    I've used that recipe and it is bland, add 1Tbs sugar and 1tsp salt and it is quite different. Secret to a good crust is 1/8" thick. Not being an expert, I put the ball in the pan and then work it over the edges until it is about 1/8" everywhere. Just trim off the excess and fridge/freeze until needed. For my 10" skillet (I use a CI fry pan) this dough recipe makes at least three pies. 

Here is another post on deep dish.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited November 2012
    I've used that recipe and it is bland, add 1Tbs sugar and 1tsp salt and it is quite different. Secret to a good crust is 1/8" thick. Not being an expert, I put the ball in the pan and then work it over the edges until it is about 1/8" everywhere. Just trim off the excess and fridge/freeze until needed. For my 10" skillet (I use a CI fry pan) this dough recipe makes at least three pies. 

Here is another post on deep dish. keep experimenting your find you can make better pizza at home and cheaper then buying it . its become a regular friday night thing in my house .

@kbutler84 looks good  

+1 on the cast iron i've found that a 16oz ball of dough gives a decent crust thickness on our 10inch CI
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Great looking pizza!