Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

thanks skiddymarker for a wonderful idea

Options
Austin  Egghead
Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
edited November 2012 in EggHead Forum
After years of working in a STAT lab, I am quite use to changing directions in mid stream, and that is what I did for the T'day cook.  I was prepared to do a mad max turkey but Skiddy, in another post, had suggested to piece out the turkey and that is what I did.  We quartered the turkey and placed on a mix of root veggies, potatoes, turnips,carrots, 3 leeks, couple of bays, thyme, sage 11/2 lemons, red bell pepper and celery.  Added one bottle of un-oaked chardonnay and 1 cup of the turkey stock made the night before.  Seasoned with Cluck and Squeal and cooked uncovered at 350 until turkey was 10 degrees away for done.  Removed turkey from pan, ran egg up to 400, placed turkey on egg to crisp up the skin. 
Poured off the liquid from veggies and used that to make the gravy.  It was such a busy day I only remember to take one photo before turkey Cluck&Squeal was added.  
This was a wonderful cook and turkey really was the star of the meal. I will be doing that cook again. 

The veggies
Turkey added and ready for seasoning
Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    @Austin_Egghead - great looking veggie bed, bet that gravy was super tasty. The whole point of this forum is to share ideas and that's exactly what we did, never thought of adding taters or the acid from a lemon, will try that next time. Glad you enjoyed the cook, on a busy holiday, this is kinda a set it and forget cook. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Skiddymarker, used a sweet onion to counterbalance the leeks.  The taters will be chopped up into the turkey salad for today's sandwiches.  You are correct, this is a set and forget cook, no basting required.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx