Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rack of Pork

Options
Costco is again stocking what they call rack of pork. It is a pork loin roast with 7 bones. It is cut exactly like a rack of lamb. I you have not tried one of these you need to. I do them indirect at about 350, rub and roast, pull at about 138-140 rest and slice a nice thick bone in chop. Much more moist than a grilled chop. I used DP Dizzy Dust and some peach wood. Sorry no pictures, but it did happen and will happen again soon.
George

Comments

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    We have one! in the freezer since beginning of the year, from Costco. We haven't had the occasion to cook it up, other things were on the 'request list' ahead of it. But am looking forward to thawing it out soon as we move into the Holidays. Thanks for the plan.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That sounds really good...I'll have to check my costco.  

Lots of interesting ideas in this thread. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SteveWPBFL
    edited November 2012
    Options
    And so we did one yesterday and it was easy and it was great! It took almost two hours at 350F dome indirect to get to 149F center internal temp using a little pecan smoke and a raspberry glaze.
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    The meat is a lean center loin cut attached to a baby back rib. The glaze was made with raspberry jelly, minced shallot and garlic, balsamic vinegar, and some adobo. My wife said it was like we were eating in a nice restaurant! Our college boys were blown away.All in all an easy effective surgical-strike cook!
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Oh, yeah, and we used our 'kids rub', which is salt-sugar-garlic powder-oregano-rosemary with a heavy dose of thyme added.
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options
    Steve, looks great need to pick one up for the weekend. Not sure why Costco doesn't sell these year round, but have to get my fill while the have them for the holidays.
    George
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    We purchased one last weekend and broke the rack down into two rib chops.  Grilled one and served with burgandy mushrooms....god eats.  Will probably go purchase another this weekend.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    gte1 said:
    Costco is again stocking what they call rack of pork. It is a pork loin roast with 7 bones. It is cut exactly like a rack of lamb. I you have not tried one of these you need to. I do them indirect at about 350, rub and roast, pull at about 138-140 rest and slice a nice thick bone in chop. Much more moist than a grilled chop. I used DP Dizzy Dust and some peach wood. Sorry no pictures, but it did happen and will happen again soon.
    Hey gte1,

I'm about to go buy one of these for supper tonight.  About how long does it take to get to 140*?  Does it go pretty fast like a loin?  Just trying to get an idea of when to put it on.

Thanks,

Mike 

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options
    I'm doing one tonight myself, indirect 350 it takes about 2 hours, last one went a little faster so it got to rest a bit longer. Hope you enjoy it.
    George
  • Mama Roneck
    Options
    Good stuff.  We just did one tonight.  Simple rub then about 2 hours at 350 and finished with an apricot glaze to about 150 internal.  Since it's already brined, it came out really moist.  Super easy!
    Mamaroneck
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I cooked it last night and it was awesome!  Thanks for the tip gte1.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Last time I was in my regular Costco, I noticed that the racks of pork are no longer Swift Premium brand, but are now Costco's Kirkland store brand, and that the bones looked much thinner.  I guess they found a cheaper source, and either the new source butchers the pigs differently or different (smaller?) pigs are being used.