Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Sorry Charlie Tuna but you suck!

The paterfamilias went to LA and caught some Wahoo and Tuna last weekend then brought it to my house. We decided to can it. Not very difficult and the egg heated the pressure cooker much faster than my stove top would. 

The pics tell the story.  

The last pic is a small sashimi  treat for the cooks. 

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.

• cazzycazzy Posts: 8,524
    edited November 2012
    Wow Travis!! That's awesome. Some dad you got there bro. Hope to see him at Salado with you! :)

How long is it good for? What type of quality will it be in once opened?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • It's good as long as normal caned tuna from the grocery. We just opened one of them and it is sublime. Very flavorful and tasty. 

I see it fitting with a gourmet plate of charcuterie, cheese and crackers. 

I highly recommend trying it. 
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,524
    edited November 2012
    So it generated that much already? Awesome! I do need to try this.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Yep, the we caned all three fish in the pic. The last batch is in the pressure cooker right meow. 

Doing that much was a lot of work but if you got a few pounds, it would be simple. 
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,356
    edited November 2012
    Wow Travis that is very impressive. Tell your dad Hi from us. Tell him to be sure and bring you with him to Salado :D
    Large, small and mini SW Austin
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    edited November 2012
    I hope you've got a lot of cats.  You just made a one year supply for them.

If it ain't Red Snapper, it's cat food.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

That looks awesome. Since my dad lives up North all he gives me is Elk, Antelope, and Deer Jerky and Sausage.

I need him to move down to Florida to get me some fish now.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

• That is a very cool project! I've never heard of anyone doing that before. Seems like a different/great way to keep fish.
  • Travis, Looks very cool. Is it raw tuna pressure canned or pressure cooked?

Caledon, ON

• LS, Not sure what its called. We put the raw fish in the mason jars and cooked them in the pressure cooker for 90 min @ 15 psi.