Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long to sear steaks?

Options
Ray
Ray Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought my small BGE. I am unsure how long to grill a sirloin
on my the BGE. From some of the postings here I get the impression
that the cookbook included may not be correct. Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Ray,
    First forget the cook book that came with your EGG. Eveything you need to know you can get here from the recipe section, the archives and finally from all who post on this fine forum.
    Depending on the thickness of the steak, I get my small up to 500-550* and sear from 2-3 minutes per side the close down the dampers (vents) and leave in the EGG for 4-5 minutes to get it to about medium. This shoould get you started and you will fine tune the technique to suite your desires.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    STEAKS
    <p />Ray,
    I like them seared for 3 minutes a side, and dwelled for 4 or 5 minutes with the vents closed. I do them at 750, though many do them lower (500-600). They are medium to medium-rare.[p]I usually rotate the steaks 90 degrees after 90 seconds to make purty patterns for the presentation.[p]Experiment, and see what works best for you. Have fun.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Ray
    Ray Posts: 59
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks for the information. I'm on the way to the meat market.
    Ray

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Nature Boy, sure are pretty steaks - rotate after 90 seconds? Must be the artist in you - goona have to try that next time. My butt just hit 175 internal!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Gfw,
    Rotating is not a new idea, and it sure does improve the appearance (makes it at least LOOK like you know what you are doing!!) Wow, that butt screamed through the plateau much quicker than I have seen...wasn't it 150 sumthin a couple hours ago??? Looks like sammiches for lunch huh??[p]I wonder how Sherry's and DoubleJ's chunkochests are doin??
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Nature Boy, it hit 150 about 2.5 hours ago - after just about 12 hours on the grill. The smell is incredibe - no breeze to move it around - I also just peeked (moved the polder) and the crust looks tasty!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    JJ, your a mind reader..I did one just like that but in the large (Sirloin Steak) a few days ago..Beautiful steak marinated this time in Dales Marinate. Great stuff! Thanks to Ranger1 for the supply..!
    Cheers...C~W[p]