Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

First Post, First Turkey on the BGE

PiperJoePiperJoe Posts: 0
edited November 2012 in EggHead Forum

Hello all, wanted to share my first turkey with the forum.  Turkey was brined with ' Chef JJ's Thanksgiving Turkey Brine 2012" at a class at Chef JJ's Back Yard.  JJ is a culinary partner of BGE.  It was a 14 pound bird, and brine was injected, and the bird and stuffing vegetables, herbs and citrus were left soaking in a cooler on ice for about 32 hours.  Turkey was removed from the brine and patted dry, and brine solution was strained with the solids (herbs, citrus, onion, etc.) and these were stuffed into the bird.  Stuffed bird sat in frige uncovered for 3 hrs, and then set out for an hour before cooking.  Egg was prepared with place setter legs up with standard grill atop.  Bird was placed on BGE V-Rack (it fit perfectly with end of drumsticks tucked in handle) and an aluminum drip pan was placed beneath.  I let the Egg stabilize for about an hour at 320 degrees before putting the bird on.  Total cooking time was around 4 hours and I turned the bird 90 degrees about half way through the cook.   I also prepared a bacon and shitake mushroom dressing (recipe from Chef JJ also) and finished it on the BGE while the bird was resting.    imageimageimage

Comments