Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Easiest way to clean the gunk build up off of a daisy wheel?

When starting the fire on my Egg, there is always the initial burnoff before smoke is totally clear. During this period, a small amount of creosote starts forming on the bottom of my daisy wheel.

Using the daisy wheel when I am cooking is no problem....but after the Egg cools, the gunk hardens on the daisy wheel, making it stick.

Any ideas how to easily clean the gunk from the daisy wheel?
·

Comments

• After your cook, put the daisy wheel on top of the hot coals. It will burn off the gunk.
    ·
  • I alwaysput mine inside of my egg on the grate or plate setter after every cook. The heat takes care of burning any residue off. I've never had any issues with my DFMT sticking.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • I put my daisy wheel on top of the hot coals often, with poor results.  But, it is at the end of the cook and I have the ceramic top on to smother the fire.  I'd hate to waste coal every cook just to keep the daisy wheel clean.

I wonder if putting the daisy wheel on the coals while the egg is coming up to temp would be more efficient?  
    ·
  • torboy put daisy wheel in egg before you shut it down. There will be enough heat to clean the DMFT.
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,819
    Here is another solution:

Don't use the DMFT unless you're cooking at lower than 300. 
    ·
  • I've never cleaned mine off.  Mine moves fine after a tap of my rusty pliars. As it heats up it moves freely.  I do put it inside the BGE during cool down.  The "gunk" is a fine patina that protects the cast iron.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
    ·
  • I put a drop of oil in top and spin after each cook.
    Boom
    ·