Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Plate setter maintenance

I used my BGE for the first time yesterday. My plate setter has a bunch of dripping that burnt to it while smoking a turkey. Do I need to worry about drippings on the plate setter? Do I need to keep scraping it clean? Should I wrap the plate setter in aluminum foil?

I've only used it once and I'm completely thrilled with it. I want to make sure in caring for it properly.

image.jpg 1.5M

• I would keep it relatively clean, but I don't like wrapping it - just my preference. Best thing is to use a drip pan, foil lined. I use a Dollar store pizza pan same size as the setter. Easy clean up and you do not run the risk of burnt taste on the next cook. You can burn it off, but why not just avoid it in the first place? 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    i just lay a piece of aluminum foil on top when cooking
  • I also lay a piece of foil on top and just curl up the edges.  Cheap and fast
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 2,115
    you can also turn it upside down and burn the stuff off prior to cook or post the cook you just finished, personally I don't worry about it on most cooks.  If I am making a pork butt or a longer cook I for sure put a drip pan otherwise the fat will seep out of the egg eventually. 
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    Keep it simple.  Alum foil or an alum foil pan on PS.
  • TanoTano Posts: 4
    Duganboy is 100% correct, use either, if you use just foil fold edges up.