Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Egg-related Black Friday score

Botch
Botch Posts: 15,428
I don't normally venture out with the Crazies on Black Friday, but my local Shopko is at the base of the hill I live on, didn't even have to venture onto the main drag, and I got this meat slicer for $37!  The last one, too!  Will have to pick up a chunk of dead animal to smoke so I can try it out.    

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337

meat slicers are a great addition to a cooks weapons. if i were you i would make pit beef!

here is a link to how i do it

http://www.wessb.com/Cooks/pitbeef/Pit_beef.htm

i have followed his directions and have always had good results and lots of oohs and ahhs

:D

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Botch
    Bente, I think I'm gonna try that "pit beef" recipe; I don't have time to let it marinate 48 hours, but since the rub selection is a bit random hopefully it'll be okay.  Thanks!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    yea the 48 just gives it time to stick to the meat. i have a eye round in the freezer that i rubbed before freezing then i foodsavered it. putting it into a foodsaver bag can help out alot!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    What a great score! Super cheap! I'd love to get a meat slicer, especially for $37.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Botch
    edited November 2012
    Well, you get what you pay for...  :(

This slicer failed miserably yesterday when I took the "pit beef" off the Egg, let it rest 20 minutes, and tried to slice; it just tore up the meat (so I had a pulled-beef sammich).
    This morning I tried again with the rest of the roast cold from the refrigerator.  It worked this time, but was surprisingly slow.

For those of you who own one of these things, how quickly does your blade rotate?  I can touch the side of the blade and keep my finger on the same spot as it runs, I'd've expected that the blade would rotate a lot faster.  

Having a huge plate of evenly-sliced beef is cool, though, and it was much easier to clean than I'd feared; I think I'm hooked on having a slicer, just, maybe, not this particular one (it's branded GourmetLiving and I think its Shopko's "brand").  Can anyone suggest a better performer?  Thanks!