Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

turkey spatchcock or not

Options
2»

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    It seems you gear you comments using time and as an afterthought in perentheses you add the target temp.  IMO, temp is everything and time is secondary and approximate.  Gear your cooks to temp rather than time.  It sounds silly, but it's important and it makes a difference.  Happy Thanksgiving!
    I got ya.  Just trying to get an estimate amount of time.  When we cook turkey in the oven at 350 it takes 3+ hours,  Trying to get a narrow down the time to put the bird on the egg.  I do not want the turkey done 3 hours before we eat and have it sit around and dry out.

Garnerville, NY
  • scaryangel
    Options
    Please post the recipe. Thanks
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I did the Mad Max method this time, but I think I prefer the spatchcock turkey I did three weeks ago.  My only problem is making gravy without drippings or a pan with tasty bits of crud in it.
    Two ways to do it: First buy a couple of packs of necks or pack of necks and pack of wings. Put on Egg to get roasted outside. Second way is same as first except put parts in large DO on stove with a little oil and brown. This is where you do both the same. In that DO on stove add water, seasonings, onion, etc.... I bring to boil for a min then cut to simmer for 4 or 5 hours. Strain out, pull turkey from necks and wings to put back in the stock. If I have already cut the turkey I add the giblets and back. It will freeze well.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    The spatch turkey was a success.  Was very good and moist.  Took ~ 2 1/4 hours (I lowered the temp too much at first).

Garnerville, NY