Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

The Egg Backfires!!!!

As I was working the vents to get the temp right, the Egg started backfiring! It started shooting flames out of the lower vent every couple of seconds. I massaged her a little and she began to relax. She's purring at a steady 325* right now. She was a little moody this morning with her backtalking, but she's behaving now.
Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving!

Comments

• bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,386
    @SmokeinBandit  sounds like a troubled egg i've become fairly decent at taming them if you want send it to me . you really shouldn't tolerate it lol . Happy Thanksgiving 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • What kind of charcoal are you using? Wood chips/ chunks?
  • BGE lump with two chunks of smoke wood.
  • Mine did it today also after reducing the vents to settle in at 325. Fully cleaned out with a great load of Wicked Good and pecan and cherry chunks.
  • @njl that's very interesting. You mentioned an "Evil Bag of Lump", did that happen with that entire bag, or just that one particular cook?
    Mine only shot a flame out of the bottom vent a few times with @ 2 seconds in between at the beginning of the cook. However, I had my Daisy Wheel on the top which probably prevented it from coming out of the top.
  • Just stir your lump before you add any or light the old. It's an airflow thing

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DeckhandDeckhand Posts: 318
    I've had that happen too... "chuff"... "chuff"... "chuff"... It's a mini flashback... usually happens after partially closing the lower vent to reduce or hold temp.  Volatile gasses from the unburned lump don't get enough oxygen to burn up... When they finally do... "chuff".  
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,386
    Just stir your lump before you add any or light the old. It's an airflow thing
    +1 @Little Steven although that kills my chance of getting any untamed eggs lol 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.