Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I think Turkey will be done to soon

I have a 20lb bird on the egg with place setter. It looks like it will be done way to soon. It has been on since 6:00am at about 325 - 340. The thigh temp is at 160 in about 3 hours. Does a turkey reach a plateau (cant spell) that it has to overcome like a pork butt does? 

Comments

• wow that is quick,  did you spatch it or cook whole?
  • I'm having same problem. Put mine on about 6:30 and I'm at 155 temp right now. Been cooking at 325. Don't need it to be ready for another 3 hours. Trying to lower temp now, but I'm worried.
  • cooked whole Water pan under and sitting on a rack. I may need to adjust thermocouple location....I figured it would take about 6 hours.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    No plateau for the turkey-FYI-at around 325-350 on the dome I plan for around 14 mins/# and it usually ends up about 12-13 mins/# at the end.  File away for next year.  Happy Thanksgiving!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thanks,  Its running about 300 now so I will just probe a few more location after it says 185 and verify its done. How is the best way to have it keep so it doesn't get to the party early?

• lousubcap

Herr's about all I know-you can keep it quite warm/hot sitting on an platter/aluminum pan wrapped in foil and towels either in open air (kitchen) for a good 2 hours or same set-up in a cooler (the ol FTC gig) for 3-4 hours.  The down-side is you will lose the crispy skin but that's a small trade for the eats when you carve it up.  YMMV-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I don't have a problem with the cooler method. I just really want to make darn sure that is done.
  • lousubcap
    The calibrated thermo (whichever device you use) will answer the "doneness" issue.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Oh, it's safe to eat - if you didn't brine and cook the breast much past 170, the breast meat will be dry.  160 is done for breast meat.  Dark meat is done at 180.  If the dark meat is, say, 160, it'll be a little tough, but it's safe to eat.  If you orient the bird with the dark meat in the back of the egg where it's hotter, the dark meat will cook a little hotter than the breast which is what you want.

• Well mine is almost done too.   15.5 lbs. started at 8:00 AM  man I don't leave till 1:00.  Opps. It will be FTC for me!!
  • I'm with Lizzie....put it on the Egg at 8:30, checked temp at 11:30; breast at 175, thigh a little higher - now sitting on counter while I get the cooler out since dinner is at 1:00 isn't until 1:00. Attached pic is about an hour in.
    Hope everybody has a great thanksgiving!!