Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome Adjustment / Gasket Replacement

Options
I've had my XL for a couple months now and have been cooking out of it regularly.  I've burned through the original gasket, and picked up a replacement high-temp gasket from my dealer.  I also had a slight underbite originally, so I removed the top dome completely when replacing the gaskets.

I can't seem to get the domes adjusted correctly.  I originally aligned the top and bottom with the back hinges/side hinges removed, then with the back hinges loose, I lined everything up so it fit without moving anything.  I tightened these down, then installed the side hinges.  After installing the side hinges, it seemed to pull the top dome back to where it was before.

I installed my high-temp gasket per the instructions, and after my first cook it was already coming off in several areas.  It was also burned quite a bit from in the front from the underbite.

I re-attempted to adjust the top today.  The problem seems to be that the side hinges do not have enough adjustment to them to attach to the top without pulling it back about 1/8 - 1/4", exposing that amount of the top/gasket to the fire.

Sorry for the upside down pictures.  For some reason they downloaded upside down, and I didn't take the time to rotate them.
NoVA

Comments

• cspearce2
    Options
    My XL has the same overbite. Tried everything. Even some shims and it is challenging to get it aligned front to back. The new gasket although exposed seems to be doing well.
    Kind Regards...Papa C
    Peachtree City, GA
    2-XLBG's E...Webber 22" kettle, Retired Gas Grill
    Roll Tide!!!
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    I have the same exact problem and can't seem to get it to move forward no matter what i do. I am looking forward to what others might offer on correcting this. Happy Thanksgiving!
    Brandon, MS
  • Tango2
    Tango2 Posts: 34
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Glad I'm not the only one, but wish none of us were in this boat. Bit the bullet on the egg thinking I would have a low/no maintenance BBQ, but because of there problems it hasn't quite worked out that way.

Has anyone contacted the mother ship about these issues?
    NoVA
  • Tango2
    Tango2 Posts: 34
    Options
    Oh, and happy thanksgiving!
    NoVA
  • sjmh
    sjmh Posts: 13
    edited November 2012
    Options
    There's another post on this forum somewhere that shows a modification someone did to the side hinges - basically, making the 'slots' in the side hinges a little longer, allowing the lid to be pulled forward more.

This generally seems to be a big issue with all BGE XL owners who try and adjust their lid ( including myself ).  At the moment, I have my springs off and I have a much better seal, but as soon as I put them on, the seal gets iffy in a few places.  Pretty annoying but there's not much I can figure out on how to fix it.