Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What a day!! Vanilla beans arrived and using sous vide for 1st time tonight

Vanilla beans are here, I'll make my extract tomorrow, thanks VI for the recipe. Also, I'm using the sous vide machine for the 1st time tonight. Doing 2 prime New Yorks. They have been in for an hour so far, can't wait. Hopefully I'll get some pics. Thanks to Nola for giving me the push to get it.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.

Comments

• Great, Billyray.  Mine are starting to smell like Vanilla Extract !!!! 

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    +1 on Thanks for the recipe VI.  I made up a dozen Vanilla Extract bottles, using the 'half pint' 200 ml bottles of Absolut Vodka and Jack Daniels, I think they look cool in the liquor bottles.  Also did a couple of mini bottle (50 ml) Crystal Skull bottles for special gifts.  Will be giving away to family at Thanksgiving dinner.  Even printed up some custom tags 
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Killer - let us know how it turns out and take plenty of pics!

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Can someone describe in 200 words or less :D what the heck a sous vide machine does?!
    Large BGE
    Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • You shrink wrap the food in a Foodsaver bag or equivalent.  Put the bag in a water bath that is the temperature of the desired finished I.T. of the food.. Ex: Medium rare steak has a 140° internal temperature, so you set the water temperature to 140°.  The steak will never get more done than 140 no matter how long you keep it there.  And, it will be very tender.  A quick sear of the outsides on a fire will give it the flavor you want.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Tjcoley
    Looks great, Tj !  You might want to tell them to wait awhile before using it.  The recipe suggests for it to soak for 6 months.
    Thanks VI. I've since seen a number of recipe's that say 4 - 6 weeks, and a few that said 8 weeks.  I've told everyone to wait at least 8 weeks, and the longer the better.
    Looks great, Tj !  You might want to tell them to wait awhile before using it.  The recipe suggests for it to soak for 6 months.
    Thanks VI. I've since seen a number of recipe's that say 4 - 6 weeks, and a few that said 8 weeks.  I've told everyone to wait at least 8 weeks, and the longer the better.
    That's good to know, Tj.  Mine, from the Cajun cookbook, said 6 months.  I have 3 batches going.  The Jack Daniels and Jim Bean batches still have some bourbony-whiskey smell, but the vodka batch smells just like vanilla.  Maybe the whisky ones are supposed to keep that flavor.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Tjcoley
    VI, in looking into vanilla extract, I found this comment from a company that sells high end vanilla extracts, using different beans. 
    Bourbon Vanilla has a traditional flavor and is the most popular type of vanilla. The beans have a strong, rich, woody oak vanilla aroma mixed with Dark Chocolate and a hint of cherry. Some people say they can smell Jack Daniels, that is because oak contains Vanillin, which J.D. is aged in. It has a creamy, sweet, smooth, mellow vanilla flavor
    In this context "Bourbon" doesn't refer to the whiskey, but the type of bean.  Interesting that people say the extract smells like Jack due to the oak.  I used Bourbon Madagascar beans.  I'm thinking the batch I did using the Jack will be the better one, but may take longer.  Just like yours, my vodka batch smells just like vanilla, but the Jack batch still has a bit of whiskey smell.  Like a fine wine, I expect it to get better with age.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Tjcoley
    From what I've read, the Jack adds a nice caramel flavor to the extract. I guess I'll know in a few weeks.