Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Question

cspearce2
cspearce2 Posts: 107
edited November 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have read all the great advice and decided on 225 grate temp indirect and a reverse sear. I would like it to be it medium. Doing a 14 lb dry aged (2weeks). Simple Montreal seasoning. Two questions. Approximately how long at 225? Want to eat at 2pm tomorrow. And what temp to pull at? Thanks in advance for the help.
Kind Regards...Papa C
Peachtree City, GA
2-XLBG's E...Webber 22" kettle, Retired Gas Grill
Roll Tide!!!

Comments

• At 200 to 225 grid, a 14# might take about 3-1/2 hours, maybe 20-30 minutes per # given it is bone in, I think you should plan on 3 hours to the pull. The larger ones seem to cook faster when considered by the #. I pull at 120 max, foil rest in warming oven while the egg gets all hot and bothered, then back on for the sear. Let it rest again covered - 5-10 minutes or so, and internal is always about 135-140. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  •  I can only add to what Skiddy says in that if the roast is longer than it is in breadth (diameter/square thickness/width) you will not be able to use a per pound formulae. It will go quicker 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Perfect just looking for an approximation. Thanks for the quick response. I will post pics. It lost few pounds in dry aging. I am hoping it tastes as good as it looks.
    Kind Regards...Papa C
    Peachtree City, GA
    Roll Tide!!!
  • Two weeks won't make a huge difference in cook time. 60 to 100 days reduces greatly.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I will definitely try that next time. I usually do mine 60 days. Neighbor gave me his one two weeks ago so I did my best. He won it in a charity auction. $55 so good price. And it looks like not too bad a cut. He supplied the roast...my egg. We both get to enjoy the fruits. Great trade.
    Kind Regards...Papa C
    Peachtree City, GA
    Roll Tide!!!
  • cspearce2 said:
    I will definitely try that next time. I usually do mine 60 days. Neighbor gave me his one two weeks ago so I did my best. He won it in a charity auction. $55 so good price. And it looks like not too bad a cut. He supplied the roast...my egg. We both get to enjoy the fruits. Great trade.
    Perfect harmony, a community coming together..... Enjoy!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!